i3 LED Headlights

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viroos

Hi,

I read that the i3 has LED Headlights instead of Xenon. Are they the adaptive LED headlights like what's on the 3 and 5 when you get LED? Do they turn and move around, or is it a different system?

When you first turn them on, you will see the beam move up/down. I don't remember if they bend for turns or not, so there is at least some adaption to them.

BMW added cornering lights and automatic high beams to the LED headlights in the 2019 model year.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/article/detail/T0285420EN_US/the-new-2019-bmw-i3-120ah-and-i3s-120ah

They are only adaptive in the sense that they self-level, they do not move left to right with steering inputs.

The new-for-2019 lights add bi-LED lights (with available auto-highbeams) and fixed low-speed LED cornering lights... the cornering lights only work at speeds below maybe 50kmh, and they don't come on with the turn signal (like other OEMs cornering lights do) which is weird.

The new lights are nice improvement over the previous LED-low / halogen-high lights from 2014-2018.

A footnote: For the 2018 Sport model, which omitted the high-beam fogs, the high-beam LEDs are brilliant, literally.

Indeed, they are the brightest headlight I’ve yet experienced behind the wheel. With all of the trouble BMW have had with anachronistic U.S. lighting laws and regulations, especially with their motorcycles, it’s surprising the i3’s LED high beams passed Uncle Sam’s test.

The i3 LED highbeams are very good, but still not as powerful as the bi-xenons my 2010 328 Touring had :shock: . LEDs have come a long way very quickly tho!

I love the fact that they installed LED headlights on the i3. I work a lot of crazy shifts and late night hours. Having the LED headlights are soooooooooo good. Super bright and great visibility !! Thank You BMW :mrgreen:

I like the fact that mt 2019 turns on an additional LED in the direction of the turn. I see it each time I swing into my garage at night and it is a definite aid. My base 2018 did not do that.

How does one activate the automatic high beams? I could not figure it out on my 2019 i3S and now on my 2020 i3S.....still cannot get them to work! Are the auto high beams not active on the S models?

Here's a brief video detailing BMW's active LED headlight system:

https://youtu.be/8Y3tkMD6Vew

Unfortunately, U.S. models don't have the beam shaping capability, because U.S. regulations do not allow it. While the LED headlamps are self-leveling, they don't turn with the steering, and they don't dynamically reshape the beam to adapt to oncoming traffic. They can switch between standard and high beams when the feature is enabled. Newer models also have cornering lights, as described in previous posts. I'm not sure if Canadian models are similarly neutered, or if it's only U.S. models.

I have a 2019 i3s, and the automatic high beam feature is enabled by pressing the lower button on the end of the left side steering column stalk (just below the BC button).

Thanks Born Electric! I just went in the garage and checked on my 2020 i3S. Right where you said it was!

I found the automatic high beam button by chance while I was trying to switch the display to show the time. The manual is a disaster. I had to play around with it to find out how it worked.

Pahaska said:
I found the automatic high beam button by chance while I was trying to switch the display to show the time. The manual is a disaster. I had to play around with it to find out how it worked.

As are most manuals, but the i3 manual has a dash of extra disaster ;)

Deutsch100 said:
Poor German to English translation plus poor organization. Fortunately, the downloadable version and the Driver's Guide smartphone app are digitally searchable.

alohart said:
Deutsch100 said:
Poor German to English translation plus poor organization. Fortunately, the downloadable version and the Driver's Guide smartphone app are digitally searchable.

Yes! I think the worst manuals are Chinese to English :-O Those make the i3 German to English seem like Shakespeare, LOL.

Deutsch100 said:
Yes! I think the worst manuals are Chinese to English :-O Those make the i3 German to English seem like Shakespeare, LOL.
If you're old enough to remember, the Japanese to English translations in the early years of cheap "Made in Japan" imports were similar.

alohart said:
Deutsch100 said:
If you're old enough to remember, the Japanese to English translations in the early years of cheap "Made in Japan" imports were similar.

OMG. Yes, yes! It seems most only know Made in China, but once upon a time it was Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan! And yes, early Made in Japan left a lot to be desired. LOL

I recentlywas involved in a car crash which my 2016 i3 was totalled. It was equipped with the LED adaptive headlights, a feature I really liked.
I recenty bought a certified i3, which has LED headlights and are NOT adaptive. The issue I found driving the first night was the LED lights are extremely pointed down?? Anyone know why? When I turn on the Hi beams everything is perfect.
I have a fullu loaded i3 with the standard LED headlights. I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring it in to the dealership?
Any recommendations would help.

FiremanDan2928 said:
I recenty bought a certified i3, which has LED headlights and are NOT adaptive. The issue I found driving the first night was the LED lights are extremely pointed down??
If you would add a location to your user profile, we would know in which market your replacement i3 was sold. Different LED headlights were installed in different markets. Also, what year model is your replacement i3?

I returned my 2018 CPO I3 back to Flt BMW and had them adjust thefactory installed lights, under CPO warantty. I only had the car a few days and noticed it at night. I use the car mostly for work during daylight hours. Dealership solved the Problem.

Back