Scratched Hood...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angela86

Hello, hoping someone can help me. I’m sorry if this is a stupid request. My husband owns a 2016 i3 and I just accidentally scratched the hood. He’s furious and said I need to figure out how to fix it. He said i3’s exteriors are very different from other cars and we might need to get a whole new hood, but I’m hoping I can get a scratch pen or something?!? It’s a very thin scratch, but it goes about 4 inches long or so. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

The other side panels on the i3 are painted...I'm not positive if the hood is, but I think it is. It might buff out, depending on how deep it is. Not all BMW dealerships are certified in i3 bodywork, but one of them can tell you what's required to repair the scratch. Unlike a metal panel, a scratch won't cause it to rust.

If you search on "repairing auto paint scratches" you will find many suggested techniques. Superficial scratches (those where your finger nail does not catch) can be buffed out.

Dear Angela86 –

You're not going to need a new hood!

The exterior panels of the i3 are thermoplastic. They will never rust so you have plenty of time to sort things out.

Sorry to hear that your Mr. is giving you stress about the hood scratch... considering the state of the world, a hood scratch shouldn't be something to worry all that much about.

That said, do a Yelp search for highly-rated auto body shop near you. Consider that many of those ratings may be padded by friends of the owner, but with some research and calling around you should be able to identify one or two ethical shops.

If yours is a light scratch, a top-notch shop should offer a quick buff of the hood at no or minimal cost. Remember them when you need proper bodywork.

Good luck!

Your husband sounds like a total delight Angela. :roll:

Accidents happen. If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail then its a deep scratch, will require filling and then polishing.

You can achieve some pretty impressive results with a cutting compound such as Menzera 203S which is a light to medium cut. Once polished out, protect with Collinite wax or similar. Speak to a detailing shop first, they will advise.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to see if I can have a body guy look at it and get it repaired. The hubby has calmed down since, but was pretty pissed at the time. :eek: Thanks for the advice!

FWIW, nobody likes to see damage to their vehicles...some take it as inevitable, some get more annoyed. Whatever, it can be repaired, and might be cheap and easy depending on how deep.

Back