12v/cigarette lighter port not turning off

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darnoc23

Hello All,

I have a 2019 i3 Rex and recently got a dashcam that plugs into the 12v center port. I just noticed that the port does not turn off when the car is turned off. Is there a setting that I need to have this turn off? I looked at the videos of the dashcam when I parked and i have 2 hours of recording. Thanks.

The 12 V system including the auxiliary power ports should turn off automatically several minutes after the car is shut off.

Are you stating that your dash cam recorded for 2 hours after parking or is that 2 hours total over several days?

If you lock the car, they should turn off immediately. If you don't they should turn off the same time when the radio turns off. That seems to be somewhere around 10-15 minutes...haven't actually timed it. I don't know about the newer MY i3's, but on mine, if you hit the start/stop button a second time when shutting it off, that shuts things done immediately.

It appears that newer BMWs don't shut things down with that second press on the START/STOP button. I don't know what year that change was made, or if it follows across all models.

Just checked again and it's been recording for 3 hours while the car is parked. I have a 2019 i3 Rex. Any help is appreciated, I tried both sockets in the front (between the driver and passenger and the one below the center console).

I've been wondering the same thing. I have my phone charger plugged in to the port just underneath center dash between the driver and passenger seat. I've noticed that the light on the charger seems to always be on.

I have 2017 REX.

Doug - out

The 10 - 15 minute shut-off time was there to protect the small 12v battery from being completely drained by accessories left plugged in, like cameras. Wonder i, in the newer i3's they switched where the sockets draw power to the HV traction battery instead of the 12v battery???

I have owned various BMW's over the years, still own an E21 and an E30 used to have an E46.

One every one of them the cigarette lighter always had power no matter if the car was on or not.

I cannot speak for modern BMW's and have not paid attention to our i3. This may be a BMW thing?

Back