Ultrafast Public Charging for i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastcharging

Hi everyone!

I'm working on a project to develop a new ultra-fast public charging solution for i3, as well as for other EV models. I'd love to understand how you use your i3, especially before and during the pandemic.

My vision is to help accelerate mass-scale EV adoption, and would be grateful for your feedback in a 3-min survey: https://forms.gle/VWoNiSZPFvwYLLjm8

Thanks for your help! :mrgreen:

All public charging stations can essentially charge an i3 at its maximum charging rate, so there's no public charging solution that could charge an i3 any faster.

As far as I know there is no point in developing the ultrafast charger for the i3. It can only take what it's on board charger is designed to take. I thought the reason we can't use Telsa fast chargers is because i3 it not designed with 100kWh inputs as well as the physical plug won't allow an i3 to plug into them. Others can chime in but maybe you should have researched this more.

The company is called "Electric Fish":

https://www.electricfish.co/

I'm not saying with certainty that they're not legitimate, but the initial post above was pretty unprofessional, didn't list the company name, didn't link to the company web site, and was the only post by the user to this forum. All red flags.

They may be simply phishing for email addresses associated with EV owners. Funny company name, though, if that's the case. :lol:

"What if you could charge your EV for just 5 minutes?"

I can. Then I can drive a few miles and charge it for five minutes again.

richs said:
They may be simply phishing for email addresses associated with EV owners. Funny company name, though, if that's the case. :lol:

I suspect they are phishing for DoD or investor money. Their website is filled with a lot of shiny buzzwords like "micro-grid scale energy storage" and "XFC" which have been in the news lately

Two parts to fast charging:
- on ACV, the ac-dc conversion is in the vehicle, and that limits how fast you can charge
- on DCV, the controller in the vehicle limits how fast you can charge

As has been stated, in many markets, the i3 is limited to 7400W on ACV, and 50Kw on DCV...more available won't hurt, but it won't speed up the process. Some markets that have 3-phase inputs can accept more on the ACV input, but is the same on DCV.

Back