Uk charge point registration and over night charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako999

Hi all, well I still haven’t taken delivery of my i3s yet due to Covid delays but it’s getting closer, I just want it now.
The car will be charged at home 99% of the time and won’t do mega mileage but if I were to do a longer run I would like to be in the position of having everything in place to charge on the move, therefore I would like to know who I need to register with to be covered with and not just loads to cover me as I know there is a large range of charge stations here in the UK.

As I am going to charge at night is it worth switching to a special tariff and equipment? The car will only do around 4000 miles a year so is it worth laying out to get this set up?

Thanks in advance

I generally use the I3 20 or 30 miles a day. So far, I have been charging with the provided charger about every other day. I did a check provided by the power provider that says I do best on a flat rate. Not a lot of difference, though.

Given 4K per year, you may not need a larger EVSE other than the one provided unless, you do get the battery low, and want to go out again after a fairly short time interval. I might consider one if it would need to be outside with no cover...while the included unit is water resistant, it's not waterproof and there's a lot of choices of waterproof ones in the aftermarket. They may have a different EVSE today versus the one I have, so you would want to check how capable it is in the weather. It's one thing less to have to take out and hook up if you have a dedicated, hardwired one, though.

Unless you have other loads that you could use during the off-peak hours, it probably won't pay to switch. This depends on how much of a discount they give you and what it would cost to install the required equipment to attain it.

Back