Emissions fail in illinois

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghokitakoi

Hello everyone. Took my 2014 to have the emissions test in illinois. It has failed twice now. I am aware of the emissions mode in the car. My questions is. Does the I3 have to be in emissions mode when the emissions test is being performed? Or do I just have to turn on the emissions mode and the car will "log" the emission info onto computer to be read by OBD emissions test?

Most States just read the stored info via the OBD port - they don't actually run the engine. If the car hasn't used the REx for a while, and it hasn't run the maintenance cycle recently, you may not have any REx emissions data stored. You may need to run the charge down to where the REx starts, and drive it around for an hour or so, to get the car to record and store the REx/running info. Last inspection, (Texas) I just had my BMW dealer do the State inspection, figured they'd know what was what with the i3 REx.

This scan tool has been handy for me each time i repair something that involves emission related systems or everytime you reset the CEL.
I just drive the car with this tool connected to the OBD port and it will tell me the emisssion cycle is ready for testing.

I do have other obd tools but this tool is mostly used for emission readiness.
I have not tried this on my i3 rex yet. i'll update once i do

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NAH6YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back