Service threat from BMW Canada

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2724

I was shocked yesterday to get a threatening email from BMW Canada telling me I must schedule a service appointment at BMW. First I have serviced my i3 myself during Covid as I am, 1) retired 2) cannot go anywhere so decided to do the routine service on my vehicles myself.

If this is how BMW Canada thinks they can drum up more service business I think I’ll be looking at another manufacturer for my next vehicle. I have no idea that there is any such clause in my loan agreement with BMW and since my loan is finished in December they can go suck eggs.

The email message I received yesterday (copied word for word <CTR> “C” )

URGENT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR BMW i3
YOUR BMW REQUIRES SERVICING

Our records indicate that your BMW i3 may be overdue for maintenance. Ensure you get the quality care you deserve by booking a BMW Service appointment. BMW Certified Technicians are always ready to service your vehicle, using only Original BMW Parts, to keep your vehicle performing in peak condition.

In addition, as per the terms of your BMW Financial Services Agreement, you are required to maintain and service your vehicle as per the scheduled maintenance required and as indicated by the vehicle’s onboard maintenance system.

Schedule your service appointment with your preferred BMW Retailer today.

Please disregard this notification if you have recently serviced your vehicle.

Link = <Schedule Appointment>

If you maintain any records of the work done, BMW has no grounds, but if you haven't, there could be an issue. But, I haven't read all of the fine print of the contract that might require it be done by an authorized service center. In the US, that wouldn't hold up, I don't think, but you would have to prove the work was done, either with some receipts if you needed to, for example, change the oil and filter, or some contemporaneous records of the work done.

I have the parts receipts from my local BMW dealer for ‘Genuine BMW Parts’. Our closest BMW dealer cannot do the work on an i3 as they are not i3 certified, but they can happily get the BMW parts I needed for service and fast.

I guess some other BMW customers also must have been p’d off, as the following email just arrived in my inbox today from BMW.

Please disregard the alert email you received yesterday.
Read online

Dear <FirstName> ‘<removed for privacy by me>’,

We recently sent you an email advising of an alert on your vehicle.

Please disregard this email as it was sent in error.

We take the protection of your personal information very seriously and can assure you that your personal data was not compromised. The email alert did not involve exposure of your customer data.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and confusion this has caused.

Sincerely,
BMW Canada

View email in web browser.

BMW.ca | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e‑mail and any documents accompanying it contain information from BMW Canada Inc. which is confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named on the transmission. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e‑mail and attachments are strictly prohibited. In this regard, if you have received this e‑mail and any accompanying documents in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

This communication was sent by BMW Canada Inc., 50 Ultimate Drive, Richmond Hill ON L4S 0C8, [email protected] and 1‑800‑567‑2691. Learn more at www.bmw.ca and our Privacy Policy. You can unsubscribe at any time from promotional communications using the links in the emails provided or using the contact information above. You will continue to receive electronic communications concerning your account if you choose to unsubscribe from promotional communications.

© 2020 BMW Canada Inc. “BMW”, the BMW logo, BMW model designations and all other BMW related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and/or trademarks of BMW AG, used under license. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.

Seems desperate and maybe alarmist, but hardly threatening. I hope you told them what you think of their chosen style of communication.

I don't think their email is particularly threatening. You'll find most of these emails are auto-generated based on data they keep for air conditioning service, brake fluid change, etc. Most of their service desk staff know nowt about cars.

As long as you keep service record, receipt of BMW parts, you'll be fine.

I fell out of love of main dealers years ago. Arrogant attitude, we know best, and we don't listen to forums when challenged. They cater purely to new sales and used car sales and warranty period claims. Outside this it's the Wild West in my opinion.

I got one of those emails but I am overdue for my scheduled check up so I figured it was a reminder email. I didn't feel threatened by it at all.

Our 2015 is under extended warranty so I need to get in and do this to maintain the warranty otherwise, I would probably just ignore the service all together.

Didn't read anything 'threatening' in the email, and didn't read anything that said you must use BMW to provide the service. Looks the typical mass-marketing auto-generated email based on ownership info on file with BMW, to try and increase business. Seems simply a reminder that some scheduled service is due on your i3, and they'd (of course) be happy to have you do the service at you local BMW dealer.

This thread is a good reminder that the telematic system in the i3 regularly uploads an enormous stream of data about the condition of the car that goes well beyond recommended service intervals.

The unloaded data points include vehicle altitude, charging time and type, whether the sunroof is propped open, compass orientation of the vehicle (really!), outside temperature, driving style evaluation, energy recuperation on the last drive, and on and on and on.

Owners can determine the telematic data uploaded from their vehicle to BMW servers using the CarData tool on the BMW Connected Drive website:

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/app/index.html#/portal/cardata-intern

Definitely do not provide the CarData report to your insurance company!

sheinr4143 said:
This thread is a good reminder that the telematic system in the i3 regularly uploads an enormous stream of data about the condition of the car that goes well beyond recommended service intervals.

The unloaded data points include vehicle altitude, charging time and type, whether the sunroof is propped open, compass orientation of the vehicle (really!), outside temperature, driving style evaluation, energy recuperation on the last drive, and on and on and on.

Owners can determine the telematic data uploaded from their vehicle to BMW servers using the CarData tool on the BMW Connected Drive website:

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/app/index.html#/portal/cardata-intern

I didn't know this was available, Wow! I followed your link and requested the info yesterday; it was ready for me to download this morning.

It isn't a full history of the data, only the last drive, so it's not like downloading complete Facebook or Google histories. But that's crazy. My acceleration was rated at 0. I hope that's good. How much time I spent in Eco Pro mode. How many **inches** my sunroof is open. GPS location with three feet accuracy. Interesting stuff indeed!

eNate said:
I didn't know this was available, Wow! I followed your link and requested the info yesterday; it was ready for me to download this morning.

It isn't a full history of the data, only the last drive, so it's not like downloading complete Facebook or Google histories. But that's crazy. My acceleration was rated at 0. I hope that's good. How much time I spent in Eco Pro mode. How many **inches** my sunroof is open. GPS location with three feet accuracy. Interesting stuff indeed!
Same here! My acceleration is rated at 5 with proactive driving at 4. There's no explanation of the ratings, but we got quite different acceleration ratings. I always drive in Eco Pro with ACC on and controlling acceleration and braking except when I want brisker acceleration or stronger braking momentarily. So I'm guessing that your 0 rating indicates a heavy foot :D

Cdni3 said:
I was shocked yesterday to get a threatening email from BMW Canada telling me I must schedule a service appointment at BMW. First I have serviced my i3 myself during Covid as I am, 1) retired 2) cannot go anywhere so decided to do the routine service on my vehicles myself.

If this is how BMW Canada thinks they can drum up more service business I think I’ll be looking at another manufacturer for my next vehicle. I have no idea that there is any such clause in my loan agreement with BMW and since my loan is finished in December they can go suck eggs.

The email message I received yesterday (copied word for word <CTR> “C” )

URGENT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR BMW i3
YOUR BMW REQUIRES SERVICING

Our records indicate that your BMW i3 may be overdue for maintenance. Ensure you get the quality care you deserve by booking a BMW Service appointment. BMW Certified Technicians are always ready to service your vehicle, using only Original BMW Parts, to keep your vehicle performing in peak condition.

In addition, as per the terms of your BMW Financial Services Agreement, you are required to maintain and service your vehicle as per the scheduled maintenance required and as indicated by the vehicle’s onboard maintenance system.

Schedule your service appointment with your preferred BMW Retailer today.

Please disregard this notification if you have recently serviced your vehicle.

Link = <Schedule Appointment>

You consider that threatening?? Lol

Back