How long is the inside with backseat folded?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fi500at

Hi All,

First time here. I'm contemplating getting a used 2017 i3 Rex, and wondering about the interior dimensions. With the back seat folded down, what is the length from the back of the front passenger seat to the lip of the hatchback?

Occasionally, fixing the odd things around the house, I need to carry the odd lengths of lumber from Home Depot (6 ft maybe) , or a ladder (maybe 6.5 ft) or a large picture (4ft x 5ft maybe). Everything I found on youtube talks about the capacity, banana boxes, or suitcases and duffle bags, but nothing about long things. I did see a couple of people wanting to put ski racks on the roof, and wonder if that is because skis are too long.

I had a Fiat 500e before, it was quite small but the hatchback was way more convenient and it could carry more than my other sedan with the non-folding back seats (probably the only model on the market that does not have folding back seats).

My current Hyundai Ioniq plug-in is also a hatchback, it's going back to the dealer next month when the lease ends. (It's very under-powered, can barely climb an incline, so I'm not considering buying it). The front passenger seat does not go forward much. The distance from the back of the passenger seat to the hatchback lip is 70 inches, just a tad shy of 6 ft.

I'm between getting an ICE sedan with folding back seats and an i3 which I prefer because I like the idea of not having to pay for gas.

Thanks

67.5 inches
That is measuring with the rear hatch closed, back seats folded down and the front passenger seat slid fully forward and the seat back fully folded forward as much as it will go.
That is for something flat, as you increase the height of the object you are carrying, you lose a couple more inches because the hatch is inclined a bit.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to measure it. Sounds like it's only a couple of inches shorter than my Ioniq, and that is good since if I angle things a bit, they should fit. Actually the Ioniq has a very sloping back like a coupe, so the i3's back gives more space.

I have carried loads longer than would fit inside by leaving the hatch open either fully or partially tied down. A nice feature is that when the hatch isn't shut, the taillights, brake lights, and turn signals in the bumper automatically replace those in the hatch. Also, with no ICE or with the REx engine off, no dangerous exhaust fumes can be sucked into the car through the open hatch. With the rear seats folded down, the cargo area is flat.

Thanks for the idea. Will go buy some tie-ropes or maybe a few bungee cords. Will look and see if there are good ways to tie the hatch down.

alohart said:
I have carried loads longer than would fit inside by leaving the hatch open either fully or partially tied down. A nice feature is that when the hatch isn't shut, the taillights, brake lights, and turn signals in the bumper automatically replace those in the hatch. Also, with no ICE or with the REx engine off, no dangerous exhaust fumes can be sucked into the car through the open hatch. With the rear seats folded down, the cargo area is flat.

I had no idea, but just tested and sure enough, the lights in the bumper activated! I had always thought that the red lens was just a reflector! :lol:

Don’t be fooled by the shortness of the i3. I have taken home 8’ lengths of pipe and lumber with the hatch closed... it will fit but it goes almost all the way to the windshield. We’ve also taken home large cat trees and a 50 gal tall water heater. Those times we did need the hatch open, but it was certainly doable.

Back