Drivers wiper won't clear over 85mph

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burmaShave

Hi, searching doesn't seem to show this as being a common issue, but I thought I would check here before replacing my wiper blade or changing the parked angle of the blade.

When I am doing 85-95, (errm, in Germany), and wash/wipe the screen, the drivers (RHD) side of the screen doesn't clear - it leaves a big triangle covering the bottom half of the screen fully unwiped. It seems as if the wiper is lifting off the screen at higher speeds, under 80 it clears it as normal.

This is obviously not a safe situation, and my immediate thought was that many cars used to have little spoilers on one of the arms which I always thought was to prevent this problem?

As it is not mentioned on here that I can find, short of a DIY spoiler, maybe it is an adjustment or new blade needed, but interesting that it is speed sensitive. Anyone else had this problem?

I can’t say I’ve experienced that issue, but I will say that a good ceramic treatment to the glass prevents most stuff from sticking especially at speed.

Thanks, you have a good point, a hydrophobic screen treatment should be a no brainer especially on an EV. I have used rain-ex a few times, its ok for summer rain but it doesn't survive the screenwash additive even from one salty scottish motorway trip, So I would like to try ceramic coatings.

This looks like an option here in UK https://shop.alienmagic.com/pro-1-professional-advanced-nano-ceramic-glass-sealant-50ml

Don't know if it's available everywhere, but RainX also sells washer compound both as an additive and diluted so you can just pour it in. That should overcome any washing away you might get with regular washer fluid. Running that fast in the US would likely elicit a moving violation...in Germany, that's not likely the case, but boy, the battery charge would run down fast!

Are you running OEM or aftermarket wiper blades?

Texas has 85-mile speed limits, but you will not catch me over 70. At 88 years old, that is my limit.

Pahaska said:
Texas has 85-mile speed limits, but you will not catch me over 70. At 88 years old, that is my limit.

Never drive faster than you can see - after all, it's all in the reflexes!

burmaShave said:
..........maybe it is an adjustment or new blade needed, but interesting that it is speed sensitive. Anyone else had this problem?

Whenever I encounter my blades not clearing any section, I replace them with new ones and solves the problem every time.

Thanks for the replies, after a busy couple of weeks I am going to start with new Bosch wipers - current wipers are of uncertain vintage and unbranded.

Next problem is finding the right wiper. My car doesn't have the front distance sensor and so I think I need 28"/700mm and 21" .

For drivers side, Bosch aerotwin AP28U seem to be correct, but when I enter my registration on vendors websites it keeps coming up with 'will not fit your vehicle'.

Can anyone confirm Bosch wiper codes for the i3?

Sorry it this sounds like a dumb question, but can the i3 really go 85 mph? safely I mean with those skinny tires?

I love the German autobahn! I was driving 145 km/h, around 90 m/h I think, in the slow lane, and cars were zipping by passing me. I had an Opel rental car and that was the fastest it could go with my foot flat on the floor. I would feel safe at 90 m/h in Germany with their excellent drivers, here on the bumpy California freeways, it's not even safe going 65 m/h in the slow lane, with these idiots passing on my right side even when there are two empty lanes on the left.

Sorry for being off-topic.

fi500at said:
Sorry it this sounds like a dumb question, but can the i3 really go 85 mph? safely I mean with those skinny tires?
An i3's tires are speed-rated at a higher speed that the i3's maximum speed, so the tires are safe at 85 mph. The load rating of these tires is higher than the weight that each supports, so the tires aren't overloaded. Our Honda Insight had 165 mm tires front and back which is the average of the widths of an i3's front and rear tires, and its top speed was higher than an i3's. So I see no reason why an i3 couldn't safely travel at 85 mph except maybe when there's a very strong crosswind.

Top speed is electronically limited to about 90mph. At top speed, the electric motor is turning over 14,000rpm.

FWIW, the actual tire contact patch is the same, regardless of the aspect ratio of the tire at the same tire pressures. With the tall, narrow ones, it is longer F/R than wide, but works.

burmaShave said:
Next problem is finding the right wiper. My car doesn't have the front distance sensor and so I think I need 28"/700mm and 21" .

For drivers side, Bosch aerotwin AP28U seem to be correct, but when I enter my registration on vendors websites it keeps coming up with 'will not fit your vehicle'.

The AP28U is only 700mm long. If you have the tech package with the forward facing camera, I believe that won't clear it. The AP750U is the correct wiper for that application.

jadnashuanh said:
Don't know if it's available everywhere, but RainX also sells washer compound both as an additive and diluted so you can just pour it in. That should overcome any washing away you might get with regular washer fluid.

The RainX was infamous in Audis for fouling the windshield washer fluid level sensor, and I recall reading similar complains from BMW owners. There was a failed class action lawsuit in 2015 that specifically named Volkswagen, Audi, Mini Cooper, BMW, Mercedes Benz, and Chrysler as non-compatible brands. While I haven't heard anything specific about RainX and the i3, I'd proceed cautiously.

Back