2017 vs 2019 - a question of range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fi500at

Hi All,

I have been looking to get a used 2017 Rex. Today I noticed a 2019 appearing while searching used inventory. That prompted a thought whether a used 2019 is worth considering. The question is whether a 2019 model is more desirable for the added range (and warranty), the down side is the higher price tag, at least $3,000 more. For those with a 2019, I would appreciate hearing about your real-world range, I am assuming 126 mile range plus 65 miles with the Rex.

For my first situation, I make an occasional 120 mile round trip, 60 miles each way with no charging at my destination. A Rex 2017/2018 Rex would work OK, assuming the real-world range of 90 miles plus 65 miles with the Rex. It's in the Los Angeles area, so stopping for gas is not a problem, and flat freeway running.

For my second use case, I make a 170-200 mile trip, stay overnight and charge the car, then drive back. Again I believe a 2017/2018 Rex would work OK with a couple stops for gas and using HSOC. It's over the Angeles range so steady climbing and not too many gas stations along the way but a bit of planning should work. I used to do this trip 3 times a month, but less now with the work-from-home situation.

So I read that the 2019 models bumped up the range so for many users, a Rex is no longer a must, although it would not work in my case, and I would still get a Rex for the added flexibility. As of today, a 2017/2018 Rex goes for $18,000-$20,000 while a 2019 Rex would cost $23,000-$24,000 (that 20% more). I'm budgeting another $3000+ for tax and licensing and fees.

Many thanks.

A 2.5 gallon spare gas can fits nice in the frunk. Doubling the REX range :p

I just bought a 2017 BEV for $14k . $1300 for Tax/tag title etc.
Second car in the household? I came to the realization that the i3 is great in concert with a second vehicle for long trips.

I keep a Chevy Conversion Van in the driveway for long trips :p So my Range Extender is a Full vehicle -was more economic that way - the Van was $2000 and costs like 300$ a year to maintain.

Just could not get all my use cases in one vehicle... - the i3 is great what it was designed for - city/suburban commuting.

Batteries are rated at a certain number or recharge cycles. A larger battery over the same distance will wear down less since you won't make as many cycles. FWIW, a cycle is 0-100% and ten charges 90-100% is still one cycle.

jadnashuanh said:
Batteries are rated at a certain number or recharge cycles. A larger battery over the same distance will wear down less since you won't make as many cycles. FWIW, a cycle is 0-100% and ten charges 90-100% is still one cycle.

really depends on the chemistry and what you define as 100%
BMW really cycles the battery between 5% and 90% but you see 0-100% on the display

Tesla on the other hands cycles their batteries between true 0-100% and you can set the car that it only charges to XX%

The last 10% hurt the battery the most - so having it sit at true 100% all the time - will degrade the battery very quickly - even without any cycles !!
Fast charging 50kw or so - accounts for more cycles.

On average a Lithium Ion Battery lasts 2000 cycles to 80%
One DC fast charging accounts for 3-4 cycles. While regular slow charging accounts for around 1 cycle.

Back