Trying to find key fob pairing instructions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

I'm not having much luck finding instructions on how to pair a second key fob to our 2014 BMW i3-REx. I've ordered a second one that should be here Feb 1. All I've found is on YouTube:
  • open car
  • hold new fob near the key slot
  • power on the car while holding near key slot
  • test

Is there any more to it?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

BMW websites describe a different procedure:

https://www.rallyebmw.com/how-to-program-the-bmw-key/
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/24-replacing-your-bmw-remote-key-fob

No idea if those apply for the i3. Call your dealer?

I lost one, and to pair the replacement, it was simple.

- open the vehicle with the one working FOB.
- take that one out of range of the vehicle
- take the new one and put it up against the marked point on the steering column and hit the start button and you're done.

This was a few years ago, but it should still work this way.

jadnashuanh said:
I lost one, and to pair the replacement, it was simple.

- open the vehicle with the one working FOB.
- take that one out of range of the vehicle
- take the new one and put it up against the marked point on the steering column and hit the start button and you're done.
This was a few years ago, but it should still work this way.

Did you buy the remote from BMW coded to your car or from another source?

You can get OEM remotes without Vin lock at ebay for $40-60 while BMW charger somewhere around $400

I bought the remote from the BMW dealership...so, that might make a difference...don't know. I had lost one, so would have needed to have a key cut, but still might have been cheaper buying elsewhere...it was just easier.

eXodus said:
Did you buy the remote from BMW coded to your car or from another source?

You can get OEM remotes without Vin lock at ebay for $40-60 while BMW charger somewhere around $400
I've sent a note to the eBay seller to figure out what we can do.

Bob Wilson

The seller reported 'find a locksmith.' <GERRRR>

I tried to access BMW TIS but my Macs don't have the Internet Explorer they report is needed. Has anyone taken a deep dive into BMW TIS to see if it is documented?

Bob Wilson

I also contacted a local Locksmiths:

"Good morning and thank you for the email to XXX Locksmiths. Unfortunately, we do not provide a service where we could program the FOB for your 2017 BMW i3. The equipment we have available will not allow for the programming for any BMW models.

Thank you for your interest. Other than the local dealer you may try High Tech Locksmiths https://www.htlkeys.com/ Good luck in your search. "

I put the question to a cousin who is a locksmith. He sent me this from their service manual:

Key Replacement for Lost or Stolen Key - BMW
Additional keys can be ordered and must be programmed with the BMW factory scan tool to operate with
the EWS system. The factory tool contains a “bar/release code” function that activates and
deactivates ignition keys specific to the EWS module. There is no limit to the number of
times a key can be activated or deactivated. Up to ten replacement keys may be ordered from the
BMW center with a valid driver's license and proof of ownership.

He said that they can cut the physical key, but the electronic/digital key has to be programmed by BMW to match one of the existing key codes stored in car's EWS module.

Thank you!

This makes sense. I'll stop by a local locksmith this morning. I wanted to avoid buying the ~$600 BMW fob but it sounds like the system is pretty well locked down even for owners.

Bob Wilson

I wanted to avoid buying the ~$600 BMW fob

Maybe you could talk the dealer into programming your ebay find to your car for their minimum labor charge - from what I understand, the key codes are in the car's EWS module, and the keys just programmed to match one of them.

Back