Unplugging EVSE When Not In Use:

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geodude

Hi All,

Super excited that I just had my Chargepoint Flex charger (EVSE) installed in my garage. Do you guys unplug your chargers (EVSE) when your not using them, or do you just leave it plugged in all the time?

you mean unplugging the charger or the car? My EVSE is hardwired, so it's always connected to power.

My car is only connected twice a week. Don't need to charge every day.

I think most chargers are designed to be plugged in all the time. I think those plugs are not rated for continues unplugging and plugging. It's a dryer outlet. You plug it in - and then when the dryer dies 10 years later you unplug it.

Since EVs are drawing a lot of current, repeated plugging could create a weak connection and start a fire.

...what eXodus said. The EVSE's should be left plugged in, like any household appliance.

Repeatedly plugging/unplugging could cause the receptacle to grip the plug less strongly over time which could increase the electrical resistance of the connection. This could result in dangerous heat generation, so unplugging an EVSE when not in use isn't a good idea.

Just as I do with many always-on home appliances whose vampire drains consume energy, I installed an on-off switch to our charging circuit which I use to turn our EVSE off whenever it's not being used. The vampire drain of an EVSE is relatively small (<5 W), but it would occur 24/7/365. We need to be reducing electricity consumption where reasonable.

MOst items fail upon power application, so you have to decide if the low wattage draw is worth the risk of the EVSE failing when you turn it on. Now, always being on also exposes the electronics (admittedly small in an EVSE) to spikes and noise on the power line that I use a whole-house surge suppressor to help manage. Helps everything in the home.

jadnashuanh said:
MOst items fail upon power application, so you have to decide if the low wattage draw is worth the risk of the EVSE failing when you turn it on. Now, always being on also exposes the electronics (admittedly small in an EVSE) to spikes and noise on the power line that I use a whole-house surge suppressor to help manage. Helps everything in the home.

I think the most prone part of failing an EVSE is the mechanical relay which enable power going to the plug.
This is not energized until you plug in a car.

The "brain" electronic in the EVSE is a small microcomputer which sits shielded behind a AC/DC converter power supply (which I admit could fail), but those things got reliable. When was the last time you had that power supply on your laptop failing which you unplug once or twice a day?

So in my opinion it doesn't make a difference in life expectancy if you un-power the EVSE through a switch. The relay will be the first part which fails, and that gets actuated by plug cycles and not power cycles.

I live in the Lightning Capital of the US in Florida, got like 2 surge protectors (on in the panel and one at the A/C) and still got a EVSE with a integrated switch - which I turn of every time it's not used.

I have to agree, leaving my charger (EVSE) plugged in all the time makes the most sense for sure. I'm so happy with my level 2 charger (EVSE). Such a difference from the level 1 charger (EVSE) I was using. Plus I love the the fact that ChargePoint Flex has the app were can keep track of all your charging times and schedules and stuff. :cool:
Thank you everyone for comments and feedback !!!

As with most electrical appliances these days it is allways best to unplug when not in use,or unattended.
It is the use of electronics and the absence of a switch to switch off the device. If left plugged in the electronics is still energised and draws power,although small( 2-5w) still capable of creating a fault leading to a fire, causing a lot of damage.
As regards wearing of the contacts in the plugs,you should pull/push plugs straight not rock from side to side which tends to open out the connections,a little silicone grease on the pins help too.
The wall mounted charger box also draws some current even when not in use,since this also contains electronic circuitry that can fail.If its contained in a metal box and has adequate fuse protection it should be ok.
Or install a suitable switch to the charger off,( disconnect altogether) however if you leave it connected to car you are still at a small risk!

I have had my Clipper Creek EVSE on a water heater timer for years without any issues. I did contact Clipper Creek to verify this was acceptable. You may ask why I put my EVSE on a heater timer. Well, to be direct, my 2014 was quite unpredictable (unreliable) when I programmed the charging times to charge after 11:00 PM. I went back and forth with BMW about this and got no resolution. I finally gave up and my solution was to keep it in manual charging and set the timer to go on when I wanted. I still can't believe they couldn't get this function right.

Back