eNate

Re: Optional ConnectedDrive services no longer available in store

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 am

Interesting, because I assumed that RTTI is a necessary component of Connected Drive, if in fact "the system" is truly plotting the most efficient EV routing.

If they're in fact separate, it makes me question whether dynamic routing doesn't factor in average speeds.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

i3ing

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:45 pm

My 2016 connected drive subscription runs out next month and I am still not able to renew. Like others have mentioned BMW needs ro come up with a solution. I don't see a new Connected drive option to subcribe to on the website.

tezarc

Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:32 am

Received this email a couple days ago. Looking like BMW won't be offering any sort of upgrade option for us 3G telematics owners. My ConnectedDrive & RTTI is paid till 11/2021, so I get 3 months free. YAY /s
Important changes to the ConnectedDrive Services offering on your vehicle.
UPCOMING 3G CELLULAR DISCONTINUATION

Dear X,

There are important ConnectedDrive service changes affecting your 2014 i3, Vehicle Identification Number ending in XXXX.

Due to a phasing out of the 3G network by cellular carriers, ConnectedDrive services can no longer be supported starting February 2022 for your BMW. The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

We want you to be able to enjoy ConnectedDrive services for as long as they are supported for your vehicle, so a complimentary Connected Package Professional or BMW Assist Safety Plan subscription will automatically be activated for your BMW until February 1, 2022. Your vehicle will receive all services within the Connected Package Professional or BMW Assist Safety Plan subscription that it is technically capable of receiving.

To ensure you receive the complimentary services, you will need to “Update Services” via iDrive, as outlined below. If after performing an “Update Services” you do not have the services available to you, please contact BMW Assist Customer Care at 1‑888‑333‑6118 or customercare@bmwassist.com.

We regret that ConnectedDrive services will no longer be supported as of February 2022 for your vehicle but hope that you enjoy the complimentary ConnectedDrive services in the meantime.

BMW ConnectedDrive

HOW TO UPDATE SERVICES

Depending on your vehicle’s Model Year and Make, navigate to “BMW Assist”, “ConnectedDrive” or “Apps” using your iDrive controller.

Under BMW Assist or ConnectedDrive:

•Open “Options” (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller)
•Click on “Update BMW Assist”

Under Apps:

•Click on “All Apps”
•Open “Options” (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller)
•Click on “Update apps and services”
2014 BMW i3 BEV Giga world Laurel Grey

Fisher99

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:59 am

I haven't received such a letter. Yet... But that stinks... I just heard that FCA is going to be offering a 4G upgrade for my 2013 RAM truck, although I haven't seen the price yet. Seems like BMW could do the same.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

alohart

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:28 pm

tezarc wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:32 am
Looking like BMW won't be offering any sort of upgrade option for us 3G telematics owners.
That sucks :evil: A few used 4G telematics modules are probably available. However, apparently replacing the 3G with the 4G version isn't as simple as one would hope. The new SIM information must be registered with BMW somehow which might require special software.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

tezarc

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:06 pm

If I'm going to have to go out of pocket without BMW's help to get this to continue working I'd be looking towards 5G telematics like BMW and Samsung announced during CES 2020 and skipping LTE entirely. Don't care to have to deal with this every 5 years.
2014 BMW i3 BEV Giga world Laurel Grey

eNate

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:22 pm

Anybody know if the current 4G BMW telematics units also support 3G?

Remember when 4G was first rolling out the coverage was at first limited, then spotty, so phones needed to be able to still operate on 3G, and perhaps my first 4G phone still had CDMA as a backup.

Anyhow, per tezarc's comment above, I don't expect dominance from 5G -- even though I have good 5G coverage at home and at work in Oakland, I know the signal is limited in distance and assume that 4G is going to be needed and will remain as the cellular backbone, particularly in lower-density areas.

Any insight on this?
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

MKH
Gold Member

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:39 am

assume that 4G is going to be needed and will remain as the cellular backbone, particularly in lower-density areas.
Any insight on this?
From what have heard, carriers plan on keeping 4G around for at least another decade - so minimum 10 years.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

alohart

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:44 pm

After I complained about being able to use the 10-year ConnectedDrive services subscriptions that were included in the purchase price of our 2014 i3 for less than 8 years due to BMW not providing a reasonable upgrade path to a 4G telematics module, I received this boiler-plate reply:

"Due to a phasing out of the 3G network by cellular carriers, ConnectedDrive services can no longer be supported starting February 2022 for select vehicles. The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

We sincerely apologize that we are unable to continue to offer those services to you in your current BMW. If you have any further questions or feedback, please contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117."

So by February, 2022, I and all other early U.S. 3G i3 owners will lose all Internet connectivity to their i3's so won't be able to use the BMW Connected or My BMW app to monitor charging, send navigation destinations to our i3's, remotely lock or unlock our doors, etc. and won't be able to subscribe to real-time traffic information or other ConnectedDrive services. I realize that I had none of these capabilities in any previous vehicle, but I now value this connectivity. Sad :(
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Fisher99

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 pm

I'll admit that the only thing I really use the connected services for is to "climatize" the vehicle, but I use that often enough in the winter or hot summer that it really makes me angry to be losing that feature. I do have the panic button my remote configured to climatize the vehicle but that obviously only works at short range. Not when I'm at a ballgame, restaurant, etc., and want to come out to a climatized car. Really ticks me off. I wonder if we'll see any aftermarket solutions for this? Maybe from companies who provide aftermarket Android Auto/Apple Carplay, etc.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”