New to me but no heated seats?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilsithree

I just picked up a used and terribly cheap 2014 i3 with the Terra World package. I assume it is Terra World, full leather, wood dash and black steering wheel, HK speakers, parking sensors ect.
But I found out after I got home, no heated seats! Could it have been ordered like this? Could it be some kind of misguided repair?
I really enjoy the car, it is lots of fun. But I would like my heated seats back.
Any ideas appreciated.
Here is the vin.
wby1z4c5ev274366

yeah the complete VIN would help, but are you saying there are no buttons on the R and L sides of the center dash for turning them on?
If the buttons are there, it is possible the seat heaters are broken. This seems to be a somewhat common problem.

Sorry, here is the correct vin.
wby1z4c54ev274366
At the outside left and right of the console there are blanks rather than seat heater buttons.
What vin decoder are you using?
Is this a possible retrofit?
Otherwise, what a fun car. All the reviews I read and it seems like nobody mentions the extent to which it really scoots around town.

neilsithree said:
Sorry, here is the correct vin.
wby1z4c54ev274366
At the outside left and right of the console there are blanks rather than seat heater buttons.
What vin decoder are you using?
Is this a possible retrofit?
Otherwise, what a fun car. All the reviews I read and it seems like nobody mentions the extent to which it really scoots around town.

Yes, the missing digit was non-essential - the last 7 are. I could get you exact order with all options which is in the link of my previous post, and the heated seats option is missing. Heated seats were an option, I believe, in MY 2014, standard thereafter.

As for retrofitting - there are a number of options, Google will help. Interestingly enough, if you check the seat cushion parts for your car, they all say
"WITH HEATING ELEMENT Also for vehicles without seat heating system"
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1Z43-USA-07-2014-I01-BMW_i-i3_60Ah_Rex&diagId=52_3948
This might indicate that you already have the seat heaters, they just need to be activated and the buttons installed. I am sure you are not the first one to consider this and there should be some relevant info online. Good luck!

Lesterbmwi3 said:
Impossible you just missing switches on dashboard go to u tube to learn about car
Not impossible at all! I bought our 2014 U.S. BEV new. I specifically looked for a BEV without the heated seats and battery pack option because I live in the tropics and thus would never use them, and they would have added unnecessary cost, complexity, and weight.

Would you guess that non heated seat cars are not "pre wired" for heated seats? I looked under the seat and didn't see any unconnected wires.
I think I have to start at zero.

You would not see "unconnected wires" dangling down under the seat. If you want to see what the wiring under the seat looks like and how to test it, this video seems to be pretty good about showing what's supposed to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgL37CQNcWc

If the module mentioned is not there or the seat itself does not seem to have the heating elements, then you can decide it is worth it to try and retrofit them, but looking on REALOEM.com it appears that all the seat cushions have the heating elements built in already only because the replacements state:
WITH HEATING ELEMENT
Also for vehicles without seat heating
system

Back