Spamouflage

Re: My first 24 hours with a 2020 i3s REX

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:08 am

Arm wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:55 pm
Spamouflage wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:28 am
I thought I would capture my random thoughts with my new car. Most of you are likely experienced EV drivers and my musings will make you laugh I’m sure. So, here goes.

I am never not thinking about range. Even if I’m only driving a few kilometres to go to the store for bread. I often debate whether I should turn on the radio or not.

When I do play music from Apple CarPlay, I can’t figure out how to change tracks from the steering wheel. I use Siri, or the iDrive controls or I reach for the hard button on the instrument cluster. Weird.

There is no ambient lighting at all in this car. Nor do I have reading lights up front. The owner’s manual refers to both, but I guess it’s an option on the 2020 i3s (and I don’t have it). So dark in here.

The pedestrian awareness buzz coming out of the car was super cool at first. New soundscape for the future urban setting. Now, I wish it wasn’t a thing. The cabin would be so quiet without it.

I love the suicide door very much.

The trunk is big enough.

I must get the windows tinted,

I need to go on a road trip as soon as it’s safe to do so (no snow and less COVID-19 cases in Canada).

I’m glad I found this forum
The fact that you're obsessed about range tells me the issue lies within you and not the vehicle.

I forgot about range 2 weeks after so got my first EV 7 years ago.
You make a good point. It’s not like the range wasn’t a known fact so I shouldn’t be surprised or concerned. Oh well, I’ll get over it.

Spamouflage

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:12 am

frictioncircle wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:39 am
Oh, two more thoughts to share...
The pedestrian awareness buzz coming out of the car was super cool at first. New soundscape for the future urban setting. Now, I wish it wasn’t a thing. The cabin would be so quiet without it.

Use Bimmercode.app to turn this off:
https://bimmercode.app

I must get the windows tinted

After tinting the driver's side window, I think the next most important one to tint is the windshield. The solar gain from the i3's huge windshield is significant.
I got the windows tinted and the car looks even better. My i3 is at the dealer right now as they can’t figure out why I’m unable to send remote commands to it. My other BMW is working fine, so I know it’s not my phone or the app.

I am surprised by how much attention this car gets. I had not thought of it before buying it. No flying under the radar with an i3 in Saskatchewan.

johnecampbell

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm

On this:

When I do play music from Apple CarPlay, I can’t figure out how to change tracks from the steering wheel. I use Siri, or the iDrive controls or I reach for the hard button on the instrument cluster. Weird.

I think the only way to control is from the round button in center console

On this:

There is no ambient lighting at all in this car. Nor do I have reading lights up front. The owner’s manual refers to both, but I guess it’s an option on the 2020 i3s (and I don’t have it). So dark in here.

There is a reading light front center on the roof, you have to press the light to turn it on/off

2018 i3s Rex here too

PS if you have that much range anxiety, long drives will be stressful for you. Just completed my first (@ 300 miles). Used the Rex a lot, in fact I don't think this car is viable for long trips without it. 2020 I think has more range (not 350 tho') than 2018, so that's a plus.

The cars is awesome thought, pros far outweigh cons, enjoy!

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”