Connected Services Ending - Offical

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Got this email today:
There are important ConnectedDrive service changes affecting your 2015 i3, Vehicle Identification Number ending in 4145.

The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive any ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real‑Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.

Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is not a technology upgrade available that would allow you to continue to use ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services after the expiration of your contract, or February 2022, whichever occurs first.

For more details, please refer to the 3G Cellular Technology Discontinuation Frequently Asked Questions or contact BMW Customer Relations at 855‑236‑1025.

BMW ConnectedDrive

Which is odd - since BMW parts shows a 4G replacement modem for all years of the i3.
https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW_2016_M4/Telematics-control-unit-TCB-US-4G/68021511/84106836777.html

MKH said:
Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is not a technology upgrade available that would allow you to continue to use ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services after the expiration of your contract, or February 2022, whichever occurs first.
BMW's position seems to be that it is not willing to assist in this upgrade. I agree with you that the 4G telematics module could be installed. There probably would be some configuration changes that BMW would need to make to associate the new 4G cell phone number with one's i3, but this doesn't seem impossible as BMW implies. Very disappointing :x

BMW's position seems to be that it is not willing to assist in this upgrade.

Doubly strange is that they are offering the upgrade to other BMW models of similar year manufacturer. An owner posted on FB that he got two letters from BMW one for his 2116 435 and it says the upgrade is available, and got one for his i3 that says it is not.

Someone posted on FB that initially BMW sent the same kind of letter to BMW owners about the switch from 2G to 3G, but enough people complained, that they went ahead and offered the upgrade.

BMW Customer Relations at 855‑236‑1025.

Me, also, for our 2014 i3. I just don't believe that no 4G upgrade exists.

According to the BMW Dealer parts lists - it exists. A check of the 'what it fits' list shows that this is a universal part, which fits all BMWs including all years of the BMW i3. BMW claiming that an upgrade 'isn't available' for the i3 must mean that they made a policy decision not to support a car model that they plan on discontinuing in the near future.

https://parts.bmwmonterey.com/p/BMW__328i/Telematics-control-unit-TCB-US-4G/68021511/84106836777.html

Got my email yesterday. Yeah, this kind of stinks... especially since knowing the charging status of your EV is, well, kind of important.

When this happened with my X5 a few years back, they offered to either do an update to the telematics or give me a $200 gift card. Considering they're taking away an advertised and promised piece of functionality for the car they could be a little more generous this time around than "whoops".

So what would be the best way for all i3 owners to make our concerns known to BMW? I'm pretty sure they aren't monitoring this forum for our comments. We need a way to a) rally all i3 owners, and b) make the concerns known to BMW.

I would think they would legally have to reimburse owners for services that have been paid for but will no longer provide, regardless of whether it was their fault or not. But in any case, I'm not concerned about a reimbursement. I just want a way to continue having remote services.

Fisher99 said:
So what would be the best way for all i3 owners to make our concerns known to BMW? I'm pretty sure they aren't monitoring this forum for our comments. We need a way to a) rally all i3 owners, and b) make the concerns known to BMW.

Letter writing to BMW corporate HQ? What would be really good is if they all came in within the same week.

this letter was sent to US customers only?

In EU I have received no such news. Own a 2014 REx (upgraded to 120Ah battery ;-)

The European 3G phase out dates vary by country and carrier, but many aren't until the end of 2022. Also, 2G is remaining in service in many areas.

Anybody know if the 3G boxes were backward compatible with 2G? I suspect so.

Sneaky BMW :roll:

The 'new' My BMW App was recently rolled out - much the same functionality as the old one, though added the charging alerts which is nice. Then last night tried to log in, and got shunted to a page with two check boxes for new Terms of Use. Under the BMW Connecteddrive Terms of use, reading all the legal spiel in the agreement, by checking the box, you basically agree to letting BMW completely off the hook for any loss of connected service because of 3G sun setting. Guess they saw the angry postings about a class action lawsuit. Oh, and you can no longer use the App if you don't agree to the new Connected BMW terms.

Speculation, could Bimmerlink extract the data from the OBD into a computer to send via WiFi or other, non-BMW provided communications and display?

Bob Wilson

Some updated info. According to a telecom engineer, the 'new' ATT 4G modem for BMW is not compatible with the BMW NBT ID4 boxes in the older BMW i3's, so any upgrade would involve not only swapping out the ATT modem, but also upgrading/swapping out the NBT box - this would put the upgrade approaching $2 grand, a cost BMW isn't willing to absorb.

MKH said:
Some updated info. According to a telecom engineer, the 'new' ATT 4G modem for BMW is not compatible with the BMW NBT ID4 boxes in the older BMW i3's, so any upgrade would involve not only swapping out the ATT modem, but also upgrading/swapping out the NBT box - this would put the upgrade approaching $2 grand, a cost BMW isn't willing to absorb.

Thanks for the update. I feel very bad for those with earlier i3 models and will soon be losing connected services. The ability to pre-cool is honestly one of the main reasons I have an EV! Sure, it's great not having to refuel at a dirty petrol station, instant torque and little brake use...but in our VERY hot climate, the ability to pre-cool from the app is amazing!

MKH said:
this would put the upgrade approaching $2 grand, a cost BMW isn't willing to absorb.

Bingo. BMW's 2014 Sales Department wrote a check that BMW's 2021 Accounting Department wants to withhold funds from. They absolutely *could* do this upgrade. They just choose not to because it would be expensive. This is how BMW's 2014 Legal Team justifies their pay.

Which is fine (I guess) but when we call up asking for an upgrade and they say "we can't!" it's a flat-out lie. The truth is BMW is saying "we don't want to!"

Until the negatives of not doing the upgrade outweigh the costs, they won't do it. If only the same kind of person who could sign off on a legal budget 7 years in advance of payout could look at the relatively small number of i3 owners who actually care about an upgrade and say, "hey, what do those NBT units actually cost when we buy them? Oh yeah, that's fine-- offer a free or heavily subsidized upgrade for some positive goodwill!"

I would actually even respect BMW more if they offered a "full-cost" upgrade path. I'm not sure I'd pay for it (sadly I might) but $2k would be easily enough to make it profitable, yet BMW says "nope, it is LITERALLY impossible! No one in the history of the entire world been able to upgrade: 1) a modem, 2) a computer and then 3) tell a database that there is a new IMEI to look for! That's three things, it's impossible!!!"

Back