Spamouflage

Mapping for road trips

Tue May 11, 2021 6:05 am

Hello i3 peeps,

We’re about to embark on an epic cross Canada road trip and we have decided to try our 2020 i3s. We are craving an adventure… I have a few questions:

1. The range that’s displayed in the iDrive Map - does it factor in the REX added range or simply pure electric?
2. With Apple CarPlay - what is your go-to navigation for longer EV trips? ABRP, PlugShare, Apple Maps, Google Maps?
3. What resources have you found helpful? I’ve watched countless YouTube videos but it never hurts to ask a community like ours.

Thanks in advance, I leave tomorrow. First stop - Ontario!
:P

conanobrennan

Re: Mapping for road trips

Tue May 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Whoa, good luck. I've heard ABRP is a good tool but I'm new to EVs.

caleighpacocha

Mon May 17, 2021 7:30 pm

That makes the BMW i3 REx a series hybrid, operating differently than the much more common power-split hybrids that range from the conventional Toyota Prius to the plug-in hybrid Chevrolet Volt cookie clicker

frictioncircle

Wed May 19, 2021 11:05 pm

Hello Spamouflage –

I'm a BEV owner on the USA's toasty West Coast so my experience is non-REx in a much warmer climate...

I've never used ABRP, but I have six+ years of experience using PlugShare and recommend it highly. The community there keeps EVSE locations pretty up to date in terms of serviceability and has near-real-time availability info.

Good luck with your trip, it does sound like fun!

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”