Rear tires worn excessively on outside

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used 2015 BMW i3 REx, now with 36,000 miles of moderate driving by me. The rear tires need to be replaced due to excessive wear on the outside edge of each. Middle grooves of the rear tires are still OK but worn.

Is this a common issue ? Is this bad rear end alignment ? Or any comments.

Before I mount new tires, I want to correct any problems, such as alignment.

Sadly it is a common issue. Most people tend make them last no more than 16,000 to 18,000 miles. Is probably a good idea to do alignment when you get new tires, but yes, they don’t tend to last like normal tires.

AlanfromBigEasy said:
I bought a used 2015 BMW i3 REx, now with 36,000 miles of moderate driving by me. The rear tires need to be replaced due to excessive wear on the outside edge of each. Middle grooves of the rear tires are still OK but worn.

Is this a common issue ? Is this bad rear end alignment ? Or any comments.
In old bias-ply tires, under inflation resulted in increased wear on the edges relative to the center. This problem doesn't seem to be as serious with radial-ply tires, but it might still exist to a lesser extent. I've been inflating the tires on our i3 to 10 psi over the recommended inflation pressure and have been checking tread depths on both edges and the center over time. The wear has been even across the tread. However, the right rear tire has been wearing faster than the left rear tire which seems to be a common occurrence for i3's. I've been rotating the tires side-to-side to combat this wear pattern.

The rear camber of an i3 tilts the top of the tire inward compared with the bottom (negative camber). This tends to wear the inside edges faster which isn't helped by the new tread depth of an i3's Bridgestone tires being less on the inside edge compared with the center. With greater wear on the outside edges, I would definitely have the rear alignment checked.

Back