Early charging termination.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRPH

2015 Rex. Recently car stops charging after plugging in - with the circuit breaker flipping. It charges for what now seems a random amount of time and then stops. Right now I have it charging with the OUC and everything seems okay (for now?). Chargepoint charger. Oddly the only thing that I have changed recently changed is my router ( it is a WIFI connected router) - and this is when it seemed to start. I have yet to really start trying different things - reduced charge rate in the car- although until recently level 2 was working fine, trying a different level 2 charger - there is one I can drive to not to far away, calling Chargepoint and just asking them. At this point just looking for any thoughts or if someone is having the same problem.

RonRPH said:
2015 Rex. Recently car stops charging after plugging in - with the circuit breaker flipping. It charges for what now seems a random amount of time and then stops.

If this was me, the first thing I would do is replace the circuit breaker. Sometimes they go bad.

Thank you. Wasn't something I had considered. Not something I've ever done before- looking at some YouTube videos. If it's easy enough- and I can't get electrocuted unless I do something stupid I'll consider it.

Before suggesting you change the breaker I should have asked:

How long has this setup been working fine in the past?
How many amps is the rating of the breaker that is tripping?
Do you know what kind of outlet is being used and what the rating is?
Have you been able to determine if the L2 plug that goes into the wall outlet gets warm while charging?

Also good points. The setup has been working fine for a long time. I noticed it a couple of times before today. Last time (before today) it terminated early, I plugged it in again- and then I think I terminated it early ( I usually stop the charge at 90 if I can). 50 amp breaker - Square D panel/breaker. Outlet no- electrician installed it - but everything worked fine previously. Never checked the plug for warmth- which kind of reminds me maybe I should check my 120 volt plug ( just to be on the safe side)

To clarify...

The 50 Amp double breaker feeding a level 2 Chargepoint EVSE is tripping?

It sounds like you plug and unplug the EVSE when not in use? (You mentioned you "plugged it in again.")

I presume this is a dedicated circuit, or at least split between the EVSE and whatever you plug in (clothes dryer?) after you unplug the EVSE?

Is it a GFCI breaker? (Is there a "test" button on the breaker?)

You can eliminate the router. That would have no bearing on a breaker tripping.

A warm plug (indicating a poor connection in the receptacle) wouldn't cause a breaker to trip, but could be an indication of over-current power consumption (which COULD cause a breaker to trip. HOWEVER between the i3 only accepts ~32 Amps maximum, so it'd be unlikely it's drawing enough to trip a properly functioning 50A breaker.

I would ensure the breaker is seated properly, I would inspect the outlet for signs of heat damage (including inspecting the wiring connections behind the receptacle), and then I would replace the breaker (they're cheap, less than $15).

My money is on the breaker having "gone bad," heating up and self-tripping, but if you're unplugging / replugging the EVSE constantly, it's possible something wiggled loose inside the outlet box.

I don't believe changing to "reduced current" affects the L2 rate of charge -- only Level 1.

Yes the 50 amp breaker is tripping.

I don't unplug the EVSE- when it stop charging I need to unplug the charging handle from the car and plug the charging handle back in to get it to start charging again.

Dedicated circuit- nothing else is on it.

Not a GFCI breaker.

I would think the router would have nothing to do with it. It is a WIFI connected charger. It's just odd that it seemed to start happening when I changed the router. I guess coincidence. Just odd though.

I haven't felt the plug while charging ( and being that it's > midnight now) not going to get a chance tonight. Will charge the car tomorrow.

There is a setting for reduced L2 charging. Might just try that and if that works be happy with that till I can spend more time trying to figure out what is wrong.

Oh, does the EVSE have a reduced current setting? That's worth a shot.

The EVSE is a pass-thru device. I just can't imagine it being the cause of the trip. It can't request or pull current, it only tells the car what current is available, and the car is responsible for pulling power.

If there was a ground fault, you would see an immediate trip. If it somehow was caused by a current overload, that would take longer to trip, but again I just can't see a 32 amp i3 tripping a 50 amp breaker.

Perhaps the fastest, least headache-inducing approach to all this is spend the $15 to replace the breaker. That eliminates the most likely explanation. If the trips continue after that, you can begin investigating your wiring, devices, and the car.

No not the EVSE - the i3 does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNSvAmt12eI ( see about 35 seconds in) ( this was easier right now than taking a picture)

Not an immediate trip. Yesterday when I plugged it in I got 4 miles the first time, and 9 miles the second time, before the charging stopped.

Replacing the breaker sounds like a good option. Not the biggest fan of working with electricity though. Might just see if charging at reduced L2 is fine- I don't have any real need to charge the car quickly. Might take it to one of the public chargers (L2) and see if that works - if it trips them than I figure it is something in the car ( and that sounds expensive).

Again thank you for the insights - especially the breaker. The breaker was not something I thought would go bad.

Oops, sorry, I forgot there's an L2 option. (I have my L1 Reduced Charging option set to a hot key.)

Your plan sounds good -- try that alternate L2 for sure.

About the breaker, if you're doing it right and shutting off the power, then you don't have to worry because there'll be no electricity to play with! :cool: But it appears you have a good handle on it, In fact, check that the breaker is seated correctly (pushed in all the way to the rail), and that the two connecting lugs are tight.

Currently charging at reduced L2 - and so far things seem to be fine. Breaker seems to feel a bit warm- from what I'm reading it seems to be normal for the breaker to get a bit warm. Biggest problem is that I'm hardly using the car ( retired, nowhere really to go) - and thus have no real reason to charge it often. Was thinking of trying the public L2 - but it's hot and muggy outside. May be awhile before I figure out exactly where the problem lies. May change the breaker if I can talk one of my brothers into coming over and giving me a hand ( moral support :D )

Back