How to display charging rate?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George1000

Hello, is there a way to display the charging rate kw/hr when charging from 7kw and rapid CCS public chargers?

Hard to believe the car cannot display this or has this feature? Surely it’s just a mathematical calculation to display this?

Some makes of cars must do this as I notice on charging location apps some people mention the charging rates they are getting when they check in to a particular charging point and leave a comment.

Just some charging points seem a lot slower than they should be so it would be interesting to see the actual figures to compare. I guess it’s not too hard to calculate it mnaually.

George1000 said:
Hard to believe the car cannot display this or has this feature? Surely it’s just a mathematical calculation to display this?
A disappointment for me is that our i3 displays less of this sort of information that some other EV's.

George1000 said:
I guess it’s not too hard to calculate it mnaually.
There's no way to calculate an instantaneous charging rate. The best one could do is to divide the energy added over a period of time divided by that period of time: e.g., 1.0 kWh / 0.16 h = 6.25 kW

If you use a ChargePoint charger, the ChargePoint app will show a graph of charge rate (in kW) over time. It's not a great chart, with only three marked levels on the vertical scale, but you can probably read within a few kW.

When using a rapid charger I seem to be getting around 25kw in 1hr. Is this usual? Seems a bit slow. From say 20 per cent to 80 per cent is around an hr.

I have just been monitoring it by noting the time and kw on the display of the rapid charger.

George1000 said:
When using a rapid charger I seem to be getting around 25kw in 1hr. Is this usual?
I assume you meant to write "25 kWh in 1 hour" (kW is power, not energy). That's 25 kW of charging power. Some DC fast chargers charge at a maximum of 20-25 kW, so maybe you were using one of these. Many DC fast chargers are 50 kW or greater chargers. If you were using one of these, 25 kW is indeed low. If a charger or your battery pack was hot, the charging power could have been reduced.

Back