Anyone having luck with new "My BMW" appon Android phone?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlsallada

Well I tried to cool down my i3 and was forced to download the 'new and improved' My BMW app only to find that of course, it doesn't work with Android phones, I call the folks at BMW Connected and yes, it's a known problem and hopefully they will get it working.
I'm glad they didn't test it before they released it especially during the 99 degree temps we've been experiencing lately here in Pennsylvania!! I guess BMW thinks everyone in the world has an iPhone!!!

The technology is great.....when it works!!

The old "BMW Connected" app still works fine on my Android phone. When I tried the new app a month or so ago, I could not login.

I have an Android phone and both the "old" BMW Connected and My BMW apps are currently working for me.

The new one has prompted me 3+ times to accept their terms and conditions in the month I've had it and it's had me log into my account at least twice so it's definitely glitchy.

tlsallada said:
The technology is great.....when it works!!

I've never found BMW's implementation of this app to be great. The new app still takes multiple minutes for a command to succeed or fail and it still fails at an unacceptable rate on top of that. And they're taking away the entire app functionality for me (and other 2014 owners) 2 years ahead of what was originally advertised...

Works flawlessly on my LG V60 running Android 11. FWIW I prefer the new app though it doesn't offer much over the old app.

3pete said:
I've never found BMW's implementation of this app to be great. The new app still takes multiple minutes for a command to succeed or fail and it still fails at an unacceptable rate...

I think those delays and failures have nothing to do with the app and everything to do with their backend network and cellular connections.

I installed the "My BMW" app on my Android phone this morning, and it seems to be working great so far. I haven't tried to remote activate the climate control yet though.

A feature stealthily added just last week is charging history. Location and time of use based rates can be applied, and the app will now keep an approximate running tally of running costs. Nice to see some long overdue attention being paid to the app!

eNate said:
Nice to see some long overdue attention being paid to the app!
At this rate, it might be fleshed out by the time AT&T discontinues 3G mobile data service and the app will become unusable for those of us with early i3's :x

eNate said:
3pete said:
I've never found BMW's implementation of this app to be great. The new app still takes multiple minutes for a command to succeed or fail and it still fails at an unacceptable rate...

I think those delays and failures have nothing to do with the app and everything to do with their backend network and cellular connections.

From a technical standpoint, I agree and my response was slightly tongue-in-cheek but since the app is useless without a connection to the car I think it's fair to count that flubbed connection against BMW's implementation of the app.

I have complaints about the actual app as well but I'm also bitter because they're taking away connectivity in February and lying about the fact that there is no way to upgrade to 4G.

Works fine for me. No trouble connecting my X5 or my I3. Everything seems to work fine. Use the cabin pre-conditioning feature pretty regularly. Setup my daily preconditioning schedule from the app as well. Occasionally I will get an error saying it failed to send the command - I just retry sending and it always works for me.

Samsung Galaxy S20 5G running Android 11.

My bmw connected app stopped dead 8/2. After about 10 days it was still doa. I downloaded the mybmw app and it's working again. Imperative to have for pre climate. Both our devices are Samsung Android.

If I open the BMW Connected App, it appears to be working fine until I notice it's showing my car at a charge state and location from 8/3. Additionally, if I try to use any command, it quickly says it can't connect to the server-- SO QUICKLY in fact, that I can tell it's not a usual error from the app (which takes 3-5 minutes) and which also makes me think BMW should be smart enough to program a different, more salient error message!

Finally, I got a helpful message saying "Time to change. Only a few days left: on June 30th, 2021 the BMW Connected App will be deactivated and can no longer be used." Then download the new My BMW App etc...

Ignoring the fact that BMW seems to think we're still in late June, they included a warning about "If you are using BMW Digital Key Classic on this smartphone, please keep the BMW Connected App installed until your key is expired." I had to look into what this was, and apparently: "In cooperation with Apple, BMW is the first car maker in the world to offer customers a digital car key on their iPhone."*
https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bmw-digital-key-iphone-as-secure-bmw-car-key.html

It is also apparently only available on limited models (not the i3) and iPhone (I have Android). So... stellar user-experience there, BMW, warning me about something completely irrelevant to my situation. It's not like you know I only have 1 car in my "garage" that's an i3 and I Installed the Android app or anything!

P.S. *There's a startup called Tesla that is having some success using your phone as a key. You might want to watch out for them because you might lose your lead in using a phone as a key in as little as... four years ago! https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/28/your-smartphone-is-the-key-for-the-tesla-model-3/ Wait, you think it's still late June, so... only "3 years and 11 months" ago :roll:

Back