BMW i3 Resale Value

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8033

A tale of two new vehicles in a supposedly hot used car market.

How's my 2020 BMW i3 REX with a $56000 MSRP (Plus 8.38% sales tax) doing in regards to holding it's value seven months later while used car prices are soaring?

2020 BMW i3, Base w/Range Extender Hatchback 4D, 3,000 miles.

Carvana purchase offer: $33,182

How's my 2021 diesel $57,000 Jeep Wrangler with 2,300 miles purchased at the same time doing seven months later?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, High Altitude Sport Utility 4D, 2,300 miles

Carvana purchase offer: $$44,902

https://www.wsj.com/articles/selling-your-used-car-you-could-turn-a-profit-11626606000

Lesson :arrow: : You don't want to purchase an i3 new...

There's the persistent story of an instant $10,000 discount off a new i3 just for sneezing politely. True? I don't know, but if so, drives down the used market value when an interested buyer is comparing new vs. 2 year lease return.

Then of course there's the $7,500 federal tax credit, plus another $3,500 in California, and similar offers in other states. Again, a used car buyer is going to consider this.

I presume you were the beneficiary of some of these incentives, and that you didn't really pay sticker?

These are the offers Edmund's shows on an i3, which look the same as when I bought mine late last year.

Lease Bonus Cash $3000
Loyalty Lender Bonus Cash $3,000
Military for Retail $11,000
Lease Bonus Cash $7,500
Student/College Grad Lender Bonus $1,000

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/i3/2021/deals/

As for the $7,500 tax credit, you have to be able to use it. As a military retiree, even though I have a fairly high income, I don't owe any taxes every year. Nothing to deduct or itemize to use a tax credit. Lots of people in my situation.

I took the $11,000 USAA rebate.

But in the end, it looks like the used car market is going to take their "25% after you drive it off the lot pound of flesh," off of the biggest discounts on the i3.

I just read your post and went to carwana to see the sell price.

all the "sell" changed to trade in value to purchase a new car suddenly . not sure why.

Why would any one in right mind do business with such companies who misrepresent sale with trade in final step suddenly.

Back