Used car boosted rates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

I have 2 cars from pre pandemic world , but really dont need 2 cars

Keep hearing , used car market is really good and there is a shortage.
I can sell one. get better price, and also the car can be used by some one , who needs it, currently mine are sitting and charging only

Can some one advise if the used i3 is also in demand ?
which one to sell ? I would obviously like to keep the Tesla , but hi resale , higher pandemic demand for a specific brand/ value can dictate the decision too...

I have a 2017 i3 rex - 18K
Model 3 - 7k ( drove it from CA to DC ) , otherwise it was even less mileage
In DC now

We were in a similar situation with a 2014 i3 REX and a Model 3 LR. No need for 2 cars as we now work from home. Used the i3 more for shopping and driving around town - best urban car IMV. Did not need to sell either and was never intending to, but got progressively more frustrated by BMW - mainly discontinuing connectivity for the pre-2017 models. I went to Carvana to check how much they appraise the i3 and was surprised at the high value. They offered $3k+ more than anybody else, so I sold the i3 to them. Selling was absolutely painless, took about 5 min - guy looked the car around for major misrepresentations, drove it less than 100 yards and gave me the check.
We had to keep the Tesla for out of town trips so selling it wasn't considered at all. So, if you don't need your Tesla your situation might be quite different but then my point being the online selling experience - tried most of the online buying sites, Carvana offered most and selling was a breeze. Good luck!

I tried carwana but it says , Sell is really a credit for trade in.
Like the sell wizard became trade in value in final screen. I don't want to buy another car or trade in...
Will try again.

Any other options you tried to sell

EVMan said:
I tried carwana but it says , Sell is really a credit for trade in.
Like the sell wizard became trade in value in final screen. I don't want to buy another car or trade in...
Will try again.

Any other options you tried to sell

I tried Vroom, Truecar & KBB I believe. KBB was frustrating as they sent my email to lots of dealers that still keep bugging me with low ball offers. Did not try to sell private, Ebay or anything else.

Yes, i3 values are exceptionally high right now. Seemingly higher than even other BMW models. I just sold mine to Carvana for more than I paid for it two-ish years ago. They do allow you to sell without buying from them, they either wire the money or give you a check.

The ridiculous overpricing is what actually led me to go back to a 330i for a while since I didn’t want to overpay so much for a 2018+ i3.

Now is a great time to sell.

OK Thanks this info.
The carwana quote i got was for $21400 for my single owner mint condition 2017 i3 rex with 17500k miles

Good article on the used car price situation:

https://www.iseecars.com/used-car-prices-study

Nissan Leaf has most price increase of any vehicle, but no mention of BMWs.

Hatchbacks have the lowest increases of any group.

Back