Anyone factory ordered recently?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt1

I ordered a 21 i3 back in June, when the end of the production was announced. The car was scheduled to be built in the end of July, but it is now postponed with no certain date. How did your order go?

I was working on an order with a local dealer at the end of July but at that same time I heard about the loss of the HK option, and so I pulled the plug on the order and began shopping. He was quoting me an October delivery, which seemed optimistic. Since then I've heard that BMW has experienced some production slowdowns, but only through the media, not from the dealer or anything specific to the i3.

Did you have the HK option selected and perhaps they're waiting on specific parts?

The HK option was out when I ordered. I wanted to get it, but my wife didn't care about it, and she is the primary driver, I settled on the crappy audio (is there another car with 2 speakers on the market?)
October sounds like a long delay. I called BMW Genius line, they couldn't give me even an estimate. Not that I need the car urgently, but I put my 2018 for sale when the dealer gave me the build week, and now have to turn back the potential buyers.

Ah! Well at least you've got a build weeks assigned. That's about as close to etched in stone as you can get. Hopefully the transport stage doesn't drag out, but with reduced numbers rolling off the assembly lines, there's hopefully plenty of excess capacity to get the car to you on time (or they might pull a ship out of rotation, leading to a dock delay :/ ).

gt1 said:
The HK option was out when I ordered. I wanted to get it, but my wife didn't care about it, and she is the primary driver, I settled on the crappy audio (is there another car with 2 speakers on the market?)
There are actually 4 speakers on the base entertainment system, all up front.

Four discrete speakers or a pair of two-way speakers? Since the service manual website went offline it is impossible to look anything up.

gt1 said:
Four discrete speakers or a pair of two-way speakers? Since the service manual website went offline it is impossible to look anything up.
Not sure although realOEM shows what appears to be 4 discrete speakers described as woofer and mid-range.

Back