Anyone Use Apple Maps for Routing?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyking6976

I was searching around for the best EV navigation app and discovered that Apple Maps not only can route you but do so based on chargers that only work with our cars, factor in terrain, current battery charge and weather. How cool is that? Has anyone used it? I tried to at the dealership when we got the car yesterday but I guess with everything going on I couldn’t focus enough to get it working.

I watched a few minutes of an Apple YouTube video talking about the feature and in the background was BMW and Ford logos…so it must work.

Oh…what app do you use for longer trips that require a stop for charging and the like? Driving home from the dealer, I thought the i3 map on the professional screen was actually pretty high quality. I understand you can set it up with the range ring and showing available charging stations…just haven’t gotten any “cockpit” time getting acquainted with everything yet.

Yeah good luck. I looked into this and posted a while back.

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17076&p=66029#p66029

Well that sucks… No it didn’t work and just my 3rd day with the car I’m still head down learning everything. I’ll look back on your post BL and if I find out I’ll post.

I don't understand why you'd use other apps when the Nav on the i3...for me anyway...is excellent. It has everything I need and want...live traffic, up to date maps, nice big clear screen, etc.

I do augment the search for points of interest with my phone. That I find helpful.

I'm really enjoying nav on iDrive 6 in the 2021. Like you say, Arm, it's excellent. Quick, perfect speech recognition, solid database with relevant POI database results, EV-relevant routing, no excessive clicking / confirming. Just... stellar!

But it wasn't this way in my 2017 and the pervious version of iDrive. The database was comfortable, but everything took longer — requesting the search, waiting for the search prompt, clicking and okaying results. It was good, solid enough I used it regularly, but not polished like the current version.

Point being, I just Google and Waze less and less frequently in the latest iteration of iDrive, but couldn't give up the 3rd party nav under the previous version.

eNate said:
I'm really enjoying nav on iDrive 6 in the 2021. Like you say, Arm, it's excellent. Quick, perfect speech recognition, solid database with relevant POI database results, EV-relevant routing, no excessive clicking / confirming. Just... stellar!

But it wasn't this way in my 2017 and the pervious version of iDrive. The database was comfortable, but everything took longer — requesting the search, waiting for the search prompt, clicking and okaying results. It was good, solid enough I used it regularly, but not polished like the current version.

Point being, I just Google and Waze less and less frequently in the latest iteration of iDrive, but couldn't give up the 3rd party nav under the previous version.

Agreed...the iDrive in my 2017 wasn't very good. But my 2019 and 2018 models have much better interface.

Since then, I've never used Google and never ever used Waze.

Quick tip to use Google for directions but still use iDrive:

1) Make sure your phone is linked via Bluetooth
2) Press the Voice Command button and say "Online Search"
3) Say what you want to find like you would to Google
4) The result will show on the iDrive screen.
5) Choose the address and you're set.

No need to use Waze or Google Maps :)

Skyking6976 said:
I was searching around for the best EV navigation app and discovered that Apple Maps not only can route you but do so based on chargers that only work with our cars, factor in terrain, current battery charge and weather. How cool is that? Has anyone used it? I tried to at the dealership when we got the car yesterday but I guess with everything going on I couldn’t focus enough to get it working.

I watched a few minutes of an Apple YouTube video talking about the feature and in the background was BMW and Ford logos…so it must work.

Oh…what app do you use for longer trips that require a stop for charging and the like? Driving home from the dealer, I thought the i3 map on the professional screen was actually pretty high quality. I understand you can set it up with the range ring and showing available charging stations…just haven’t gotten any “cockpit” time getting acquainted with everything yet.

FYI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4eQndkPOfM

Now that I’ve got my ‘21, I’ve been looking into this issue because I’d prefer to stay in CarPlay. Found a thread on an Apple Developer board that indicates there’s an acknowledged bug in the SDK that prevents any EVs from connecting to Maps.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/653328

The problem doesn’t appear to be with BMW or the i3. Bug was reported over a year ago and remained unresolved earlier this year.

Had some time and saw my old thread. After using the ‘21 for 6 weeks or so I agree. The Nav…at least the “professional” version is very good and I haven’t used anything else for quite a while. I’ve noticed like on so many car Nav’s this one doesn’t force you back to the route when it’s clear the driver doesn’t want to. Yep…I agree. The best OEM Nav I’ve seen so far.

Back