Arm

Re: “Idle” With A/C OK?

Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:17 pm

alohart wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:09 pm
Arm wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:28 pm
The A/C will cool the car but there is so much glass on the car that you really feel the radiative heat of the sun coming through even with the A/C cranking.
In the tropics with higher average sun angles than in the middle latitudes, I feel more heat radiating down through the roof than entering through the side windows. The black CFRP roof absorbs infrared radiation that is re-radiated down into the cabin due to little if any heat insulation between the roof and headliner. The A/C cools the cabin air well while the top of my heat feels warmth from above.
I agree...there is a lot of radiative heat coming from the roof. My new "used" i3s has a sunroof so let's see how that fairs. It looks tinted from the outside so hopefully it's not worse than the outgoing model I had that had no sunroof.

2020i3

Re: “Idle” With A/C OK?

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:42 pm

If carbon monoxide doesn't get you, you'll be fine. :mrgreen:

But on a side note, we do it for hours in our i3. I go to my doctor appointments and the wife, who isn't allowed inside because of COVID rules, sits outside for however long on her tablet with the AC blasting. One of the primary reasons we bought an EV over an ICE vehicle. That and we get to charge it for free at our apartment complex. We're the only ones that own an EV, so the charger is always available, unless some jerk parks an ICE vehicle in the spot. But I complain and get their vehicle stickered for towing when they do.

In Nevada, with temps routinely hitting 115 (or worse) or so this summer, it does take quite a while to cool this car down. Sometimes 30-40 minutes into a trip. But once you do, you can cut back the AC quite a bit. Ours is black, but I would have preferred a white one. Very hard to find that color.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”