Deka World dominance?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornelectric2018

My i3s lease is ending next month. I'll be returning a Melbourne Red 2019 i3s REx/Giga World with Eucalyptus/Technology & Driving Assistant/Moonroof/Jet Black wheels. I special ordered the car in late 2018, and it was built and delivered in early 2019. The residual is too high for me to consider purchasing the car, so I'm going to be looking for a used or CPO i3s.

On the advice of many others on this forum, I'm going to look for a BEV model this time around -- fewer potential headaches in the long run. Ideally, I'd like a 2019 i3s BEV with Giga World and T&DA. The Technology & Driving Assistant is an absolute must. It's been a godsend in Los Angeles freeway commuter traffic, worth its weight in gold. I do like having a moonroof, especially for its added ventilation, but it's not essential, and I'm curious to see if the BEV without moonroof feels quicker than the REx with it. I don't really use the stereo, so I don't need the HK option.

While perusing the available i3/i3s inventory of used, CPO and new cars, I'm shocked at just how many have the base Deka World interior. Before I decided to lease my current car, I spent a lot of time looking at used 2015-2017 models, and there seemed to be a healthy mix of Mega, Giga and Tera World interiors. What happened? After 2018, it seems like very few vehicles were ordered with the higher trim levels. My suspicion is that due to the perceived overpricing of the i3/i3s, dealers ordered mostly base Deka World trim vehicles in order to have an easier time selling them. It also appears that the ratio of REx to BEV vehicles is strongly in favor of the former. The same can be said of the Technology & Driving Assistant option. It seems much less common on the later model vehicles.

I don't dislike the Deka World interior, but I prefer the light interiors of the Mega and Giga World trims. Tera World is nice enough in its own way, but I don't think it really fits with the overall design aesthetic of the i3, and a dark leather interior isn't the best choice for a warm climate. Initially, I didn't like the look of the Giga World trim, but it really started to grow on me, and eventually became my favorite. I think it's the trim option that is most congruent with the ethos of the i3, having an interesting mix of colors and textures made from sustainable materials. The Deka World trim just feels too utilitarian and bland to me, and it lacks the the more exotic textures like the open pore wood trim of the Giga World and Tera World interiors. I adore the open, airy "living room" feel of the i3, and the darker trims work against that effect. Deka World also lacks the ambient lighting features of the other trim levels, which makes it feel a bit less special.

I think I'll have my work cut out for me trying to find a 2019+ i3s BEV with the Technology & Driving Assistant package and anything other than the Deka World interior.

My impression, having been shopping both new and used recently, is that there IS a good mix, but the Dekas are being left behind. Used car sales are hot and inventories are low, so there's a good probability you're shuffling through the dregs.

The BMW press releases promoting the 120 Ah battery noted a November 2018 start of production. So there's a good chance if you wait around another two months, you'll begin to see more 2-year lease returns populate the cars for sale websites. November seems like a late start. My 2017 was built at the start of production in July of 2016.

I agree that Giga is the best looking interior and the Tech package is a must. I had to special order to get what I wanted.
If you spend a lot of time in traffic, consider enabling "full self driving" :lol: https://quidzel.com/ It works very well in slow freeway traffic.

I was in the same position as you 3 weeks ago. Got a 2018 i3s BEV with tech package and black rims, sunroof, etc. Deka. It's been at the dealer for a week because I'm pushing them to fix everything in feel they should fix under warranty.

I wasn't looking for a tech package or sunroof and Deka is my favorite interior. So this was an upgrade for me as far as packages go. Obviously I took a hit in mileage but that's ok... it's still plenty for me. I can't say I'm a fan of the ACC now that I've used it some. It's too unrefined in town.

Love it... it drives so much better than my 2019 i3s REX.

I have the Deka but I changed the dash trim to Dark Oak. Now I am pretty happy with it. It still doesn't have the leather wrapped dash and ambient lighting, but the wood trim makes a big difference.

My advice is keep yours, particularly if you special ordered it. I'm in similar position except I returned my 2017 lease (a second car) in June 2020 and didn't replace it because we're both on open-ended work from home status. Saw no point in paying to park a new one. The inventory last summer was also non-existent thanks to the factory's pandemic shutdown. My plan was to buy an i3s when (if?) I needed to commute to the office again.

With the end of US-spec production, I decided to start shopping. I too have a strong preference for Giga. My 2014 had it then I tried Tera on the 2017. Never really warmed up to it. So far, I have yet to find an i3s with Giga. I'm also firm about having both Tech and HK. My local dealer just got two i3s CPOs with the Tech/HK options—a 2018 BEV with dark blue/Terra and a 2019 REX with mineral grey/Deka + blue seatbelts that I'm scheduled to see tomorrow. Not wild about either combo but I'm getting discouraged I'll find much else.

Unexpectedly, I got a call this afternoon from a nearby dealer about a 2021 BEV base with white/Giga that I thought had slipped through my fingers. It's not my ideal configuration but it's got both Tech and HK, which seems very rare in the dwindling new inventory. We reached a deal over the phone and I gave them a credit card deposit. They tell me the car has left the port and is scheduled to arrive on the 2nd. Hopefully I'll take delivery next week.

Not to be pessimistic but I suspect the pickings will get slim in the coming months. US sales peaked in 2015 then declined significantly after the 2018 model year. https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/bmw-i3-sales-figures-usa-canada/

To answer your question about the recent preponderance of Deka, it wasn't offered in the US during the first three model years. Mega was our base trim for 2014 to 2106. If I had to guess, I'd wager BMW NA had some research indicating potential customers wanted the dark interior but were turned off by having to pony up for Tera to get it.

Love my 2021 leather Tera world. Every time I drip some McDonald's hot fudge sundae or something else on the seat, I just wipe it off and say "leather!"

My 2020 had the cloth seats, which appeared to get stained even by drops of condensation from a water bottle.

bornelectric2018 said:
It’s a shame that a light-colored leather option was never available. The light-color leather options (like “Oyster”) on BMW’s ICE cars are beautiful.

I swapped dark leather Tera seats into a light Mega interior and l an super pleased with the contrasting look.

Photos at the link in the first post:

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17431

Back