Common for DC Charger to Reduce kWh BEFORE 80%?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyking6976

Was public charging but percentage wasn’t going up very fast. I got out of the car and noticed the 150kWh Electrify America charger had dropped to the low 20’s kWh from starting mid 30’s and I was only around 20% charged. A few minutes later it dropped to 7kWh. I shut it down and restarted…same thing. Moved to a 350kWh charger and it gave me just shy of 50kWh the whole charge to 80%.

Yes I read here or a YouTube video saying it was very uncool to take up a high power charger if your car can’t take that high of a charge but what the heck. Is this something you always have to watch for when public charging? There was a fella charging a Mustang and I asked him WTF. He said it wasn’t the charger’s fault but my i3. I said OK…if that’s true why does it work perfectly on this 350kWh charger? He just repeated what he’d said before.

Just try a few more fast charging sessions and see what happens...on other machines. Try an EVgo unit as well. Most of their chargers are 50kW max.

The DCFC unit has its own cooling and power delivery parameters to contend with, so the fault could lie on either side of the charging port.

eNate said:
The DCFC unit has its own cooling and power delivery parameters to contend with, so the fault could lie on either side of the charging port.

Ah… that makes sense Nate. It was on Sunday and the chargers were rockin’ when we got there. Did not realize those chargers get hot. There are only a couple 50kWh…most are 350 and like I said, from comments here and YouTube I didn’t want to tie up a 350 when our i3 can only take 50kWh. I did read posts on PlugShare that slow charging was an issue last Friday as well.

I thought the Mustang driver was full of it but wasn’t 100%. Didn’t make sense it was our car when it worked fine on a different charger.

Back