Dashboard controls

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek2

Where can I find out what the dahboard controls are? The manual is not indexed and the car system doesn't seem to cover the following: What is the button to the left of the right seat heater. It is labelled "A M" with a car underneath, maybe indicating air flow from outside or recycled.

I don't understand the logic of the AUTO button if the intensity is manually adjusted. The whole point of AUTO is to select the intensity automatically.

Also, unless you turn off the A/C button, de-selecting AUTO doesn't turn off the A/C compressor.

Lastly, I've never really seen any evidence of the "A M" button making any difference besides opening air from the outside or closing it off. The "automatic detection" of outside particulates is highly suspect to me.

Unlike other manufacturers, BMW climate control systems have multiple Auto programs. They use the term intensity to describe the differences. Unfortunately the generation in the i3 uses the fan speed button to set/display intensity when Auto is engaged. The visual clue is a single LED that moves from left (lowest) to right (highest). Drivers who don’t read the manual assume they’re controlling the fan speed. They’re not. The computer always controls the fan speed (as well as air distribution and incoming temperature) in Auto.

When Auto is off, you are in control of fan speed and the display changes to reflect the manual setting. The LEDs on the fan rocker switch light up sequentially, progressing from 1 to 5.

BMW does have a video that helps explain the nuances. https://youtu.be/GajeNlUs-Q4

Hello stumbledotcom –

Your message suggests that pressing the left or right sides of the fan speed button while in AUTO mode does not affect fan speed.

In 7+ years of driving i3s, I can confirm that when in AUTO mode, fan speed is higher with all fan-speed LEDs illuminated compared to having just one illuminated.

I'm not saying it has no affect rather the computer remains in control. Changing the intensity typically results in an immediate fan speed change. But when the set temperature is reached, the computer will alter air flow, air distribution, and/or incoming air temperature.

In contrast during manual operation, the fan speed and air distribution remain at whatever settings the driver selects with the system changing only the incoming air temperature.

The rocker switch's LED behavior is different depending on the mode also. In Auto, a single LED is lit and moves from left to right. Far left is the lowest intensity while far left is the highest. In manual, the LEDs stay on growing from one to five. You can see the LED patterns in the video linked above. At 1:00 Auto is engaged and the single LED moves left to right and back. Then at 1:09, Auto has been disengaged so two lit LEDs indicate the fan is on two then one then off.

Both my 2014 and 2017 behaved the same way. In fact, the climate system in every modern BMW I've driven does, too. Though my 2009 328i has the previous interface that I believe makes the system easier to understand. You cycle through the intensity levels by repeatedly pressing the Auto button and the iDrive screen displays a pictograph showing the different levels.

stumbledotcom –

We're on the same page then.

Yes, when in AUTO the i3 handles where the air is allocated with the driver getting to choose only temperature and their suggestion for fan speed.

For getting the most airflow from face-level vents, I've found that non-AUTO face-level mode, with recirculate in M and fan speed at MAX delivers the system's maximum output. Pressing the MAX A/C button does all of that along with turning on the A/C compressor.

My interpretation of BMW's intent with AUTO mode is that the driver picks the temperature they want and about how much airflow they need – the car does the deciding on how to achieve the temp by varying airflow location and (within a range around the set fan speed) volume.

Arm –

I too have always been suspicious of auto-recirculate. If I put it in Auto, how does one know when it transitions from outside air to recirculate? :?

frictioncircle said:
I too have always been suspicious of auto-recirculate.

When I read that in the manual I thought, "yeah, right! :roll: "

The other day I drove by a car that was spewing blue-white oil smoke out of the tailpipe and thought of switching it manually when it occurred to me that I don't particularly (no pun intended) recall smelling exhausts or dusty situations in the i3 as often as other cars I've owned which made me wonder if it actually does work.

It's anecdotal, but at the same time my fairly cheap roomba claims to have a particle sensor to know when it's going over a dirty patch. If a $200 appliance can have a sensor like that, why not something similar in a $50k (ha!) car?

Back