First Day Trip in the ’21 BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbledotcom

Saturday we headed up to Sonoma for lunch and wine tasting with friends. Of course we took the 2021 i3 that had been delivered on Tuesday. Our place in SF to the winery is 55 miles, roughly half freeway and half two-lane country roads. I hadn’t planned to make this trip a range test since I knew the 120Ah pack could easily handle the roundtrip. Still I was stunned when I glanced at the GOM on the way home. We’d driven a handful of miles since topping up to 95% at the EA fast charge near the Sonoma town square. Yes, the conditions were probably ideal: 79° F ambient temperatures and moderate speeds using ACC without much stop-start the previous 20+ miles. Still, seeing 185 miles predicted range shocked me. I can’t help but wonder what it would have been if I’d charged to 100%.

51606100044_f0bc9baa3b_b.jpg

I've done the drive from Oakland up to Glen Ellen in my 2017, I think it was the first "longish" trip I made in that car with 135 miles range. It was flawless, and plugging my destination into nav helped solidify my GOM. What was comforting was that, if I ran low on the drive back, there were plenty of charging options along most of the route. I know I didn't leave with a full charge, and it was close getting home (I was considering stopping in Emeryville), but in the end the GOM was a little bit conservative and I pulled up in front of my house with a few percent to spare.

That's pretty good and expected if you drive normally. I actually saw 215 miles fully charged EV range with my previous 2019 i3s REX. I now get around 140-150 miles fully charged with my 2018 i3s BEV.

This is just GOM being GOM. My drive to work is 20miles with 600' elevation loss. By the time I get there my range is more than what I had when I started.

Back