Comfort: 2014-2017 vs 2018+ ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPoly

I ordered a 2017 REx on the strength of a weeklong test drive in a 2018 REx model. I was particularly impressed by the suspension's ability to isolate the cabin from the road.

I just learned that the LCI update for 2018 was not only cosmetic but included some suspension and/or chassis updates to improve comfort. This is concerning because I loved the 2018 model's sense of isolation and dampening. I will be driving the i3 on some rough roads.

Has anyone noticed an appreciable different in comfort between the two models? Also curious if anyone has swapped suspension components to make their 2014-2017 models more comfortable.

I switched from 2 years in a 2017 to a 2021. Literally kept the wheels and seats. Was driving them concurrently for a short time. Ride quality and handling feels identical.

My impression is the seats that came in the '21 were slightly more comfortable, may have had more bolstering, but this was comparing brand new fabric seats to 50,000 mile leather, so who knows...

The traction control processor was upgraded at some point before 2018. The old one will cut off the engine power for about 1 second every time you hit a pothole. You won't feel a thing on the new one.

I gotta say that it works really well. The original version was a bit like a roller coaster going over the drop, after hitting a rough patch on a curving freeway cloverleaf onramp causing the regen to cut out.

Can't say it has any effect on ride comfort though, 👍

I’ve had three BEVs: 2014, 2017, and now 2021. I can’t tell a difference in ride comfort beyond the typical distinctions when you move from a car with a few years on it to brand new. My 2014 had the 19” wheels and all-season tires where the 2017 and 2021 both have the 20” + performance tires. That creates a more noticeable difference than any LCI suspension mods. For perspective, I prefer the tighter feel of the 20” wheels/tires even over the pockmarked streets of San Francisco. Then again, my other car is an E90 with the M Sport suspension option so every i3 has felt plush in comparison.

One "feel" difference I noted was that the 2021 had sightly snapper throttle response vs. the 2017. Change in throttle mapping, I think.

The person who bought my 2017 installed the "Sport Tune" mod and says it's a real kick. I'm curious, but not curious enough to try it on my '21.

I've owned much faster EVs and am quite happy with the kick from the '17 i3 REx. At least, an improved suspension and roadholding ability would be higher on my list of upgrades. By the same token, I really like that the ride is fairly soft.

Would the sport tune void the warranty?

Back