Recurrent for tracking battery health?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPoly

Has anyone linked Recurrent to their i3?

I am curious if there is any phantom drain, and if the pinging wakes the car to start HVAC or any other effects.

It seems like a great service.

I did until I stored our i3 with its 12 V battery disconnected in August at which time I discontinued the service. I didn't notice any phantom drain, but Recurrent was connecting to our i3 at least once daily and sometimes more often. I assume that firing up the telematics module would be a 12 V system load only. If so, it's difficult to determine whether the 12 V battery was discharged more than usual.

I didn't learn much from the monthly Recurrent reports. They claimed that our battery pack was near the mid-range in terms of usable capacity loss. However, I don't know whether capacity loss is purely due to battery cell degradation or whether the BMS might be adjusting the usable capacity.

SuperPoly said:
How did their health report compare to the Batt Kappa Max readout?
One of the weaknesses of Recurrent is the inability to view past reports. The only access to their current report is via an email message they send. So I can't go back to look at past reports, and I discontinued my membership in August so I don't have access to a current report. Therefore, I can't compare their report to my Batt. Kapa. max values. However, because Recurrent gets all of its information via an i3's mobile data connection, Batt. Kapa. max values must be very similar to what Recurrent reports. Recurrent aggregates information from all similar i3's, so one is able to compare one's i3 with others that Recurrent is monitoring. I was not able to easily determine the deterioration rate the battery cells in our i3 relative to other similar i3's from one month to the next.

I had a battery monitoring setup through a home automation system, it grabbed the data every 30 minutes. Never noticed any effect on the car.

Back