Body panel repair - Normal autobody techniques or something unique?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dddoughboy

Well, I recently scraped the driver's door on a concrete post and would like to repair the damage if possible. My understanding is that these are composite or plastic panels, so it is unclear if metal auto body techniques will repair this?

More specifically, is it possible to buff this out, or is there a special primer and paint needed due to the plastic material of the door panel? The scratches are moderately deep (wish I could post photos on this forum)

Much thanks for any help.
-Rob

The bodywork is plastic, and the doors are effectively skins mounted on a frame. Concrete and paint don't mix, so I doubt it will buff out. Chances are it needs wet sanded and possibly some flexible filler if there's any scratches and scrapes to level out.

You may be able to source a skin in the same colour code, but failing that it can be repaired and repainted. Treat it like bumper/fender, so primer needs to be suitable for plastic.

If it's white or a flat colour you may be able to paint the door, but any metallics you're looking at a blend onto the wing and rear barn-door.

After the paint has cured it can be corrected and polished with Menzerna or similar cutting compound and a rotary mop. Seal with a decent wax to protect or ceramic coating.

Back