Wet Floors

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porgan

I have wet floors. Not sure how water is getting into the cabin -- gaskets on doors seem okay. Any insight?

Consider pouring some colored water over the car and see if you can identify where it's coming from.

Thank you all. I've been putting it in the garage and out of the rain. I still can't seem to get the carpets fully dry despite towels / DampRid / space heater. Its definitely more dry, but still moist carpets so I can't tell if I'm getting new dampness or just haven't gotten rid of what was there.

Great opportunity to clean carpets using one of those Hoover/Bissell/other upholstery cleaning tools. Did this after open windows let rain in. Then had heater on high floor setting for a couple of days (no floor mats of course). Dried out beautifully!

Anyone else have experience of wet floor carpets in their i3 (ours is a 2016 94aH Rex). Wet is left hand side footwell (passenger side in UK RHD car). This happed when the car was parked in rainy conditions a couple of years ago. BMW said it was a fault seal on the windshield and they charged £1500 to refit the screen, dry out the car plus drill some holes in the sills. Apparently this is a known issue and a BMW fix. The car was parked in the snow yesterday and when the snow thawed the carpets of the passenger (LHS) footwell were sopping wet again. The car hadn't moved so it was a leak whilst the car was stationary. Has anyone else had this situation arise and if so did you get a permanent fix? I am going to dry the car out tomorrow and then get the local garage to check/clean the sunroof drains. If still getting damp then plan to use waterproof tape to seal around the sunroof first just to absolutely rule this out. If the problem continues then I plan to use the waterproof tape along the top and sides of the windscreen to see if this sorts it. If it does then I guess the windscreen will have to be refitted. Does anyone have any other ideas/comments? Many thanks, Richard

Anyone else have experience of wet floor carpets in their i3 (ours is a 2016 94aH Rex). Wet is left hand side footwell (passenger side in UK RHD car). This happed when the car was parked in rainy conditions a couple of years ago. BMW said it was a fault seal on the windshield and they charged £1500 to refit the screen, dry out the car plus drill some holes in the sills. Apparently this is a known issue and a BMW fix. The car was parked in the snow yesterday and when the snow thawed the carpets of the passenger (LHS) footwell were sopping wet again. The car hadn't moved so it was a leak whilst the car was stationary. Has anyone else had this situation arise and if so did you get a permanent fix? I am going to dry the car out tomorrow and then get the local garage to check/clean the sunroof drains. If still getting damp then plan to use waterproof tape to seal around the sunroof first just to absolutely rule this out. If the problem continues then I plan to use the waterproof tape along the top and sides of the windscreen to see if this sorts it. If it does then I guess the windscreen will have to be refitted. Does anyone have any other ideas/comments? Many thanks, Richard
Hi, your water ingress will due to a poor fitting aperture seal on the tailgate/ boot. You can remedy this for £0, by simply removing the plastic cover at the rear of the boot floor (the part that surrounds the boot catch). This exposes the carbon fibre frame. Look throught the slotted holes, if you can see water in the void, continue by locating the two round holes, one each side of the carbon fibre frame, use a drill the same size as the hole, then drill through the bottom carbon fibre frame, using the holes as a guide. The water will then drain out harmlessly behind the bumper. Please ensure yourself by removing the boot floor that there is no wiring or components that could be damaged BEFORE drilling. If the drilling is done correctly your car will no longer fill up with water into the rear footwells.

Hi, your water ingress will due to a poor fitting aperture seal on the tailgate/ boot. You can remedy this for £0, by simply removing the plastic cover at the rear of the boot floor (the part that surrounds the boot catch). This exposes the carbon fibre frame. Look throught the slotted holes, if you can see water in the void, continue by locating the two round holes, one each side of the carbon fibre frame, use a drill the same size as the hole, then drill through the bottom carbon fibre frame, using the holes as a guide. The water will then drain out harmlessly behind the bumper. Please ensure yourself by removing the boot floor that there is no wiring or components that could be damaged BEFORE drilling. If the drilling is done correctly your car will no longer fill up with water into the rear footwells.
What year was your car? Mines a 2015 and had a look under the plastic after removing the bolts that hold the luggage “D” restraints but was metal not carbon.
Wet carpets and no windscreen change.

Can anyone point me towards the routing and exit of the sunroof drain?

Can anyone point me towards the routing and exit of the sunroof drain?
Don't know anything about the sunroof drains but I do recall an i3 sunroof owner reporting a cracked sunroof frame which was visible around the edge of the opening when the sunroof is open. Apparently, the frame isn't a replaceable part, and replacing the entire sunroof would be quite expensive, so he attempted a repair with a flexible adhesive.

Back