Locked in car whilst map updates!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashpot

:eek: Just spent very uncomfortable and cold hour stuck in my car whilst updating the map data via USB!
Door would not open, system seemed locked up. No phone with me of course, thought of using the call BMW panic button but our mobile signal is not the best.
Eventually managed to open doors probably after the data transferred across.
Is this a known problem?

I've updated the maps in our 2014 i3 between 5 and 10 times over 7 years but haven't noticed being unable to open the doors during the update. Maybe I never tried. However, I'm pretty certain that I departed our i3 returning later on one or more occasions. I'm pretty certain that the update process continues even when one departs an i3. Hopefully, someone else will comment.

Implying that our door latches are electronic, not mechanical (i.e. cable actuated)? Is that correct?

My ID.4 has electronic latches and it's apparent in the feel and in the way the door operates. As a failsafe, if the electronics aren't doing their job, a slightly harder pull of either the inside or outside handle actuates a backup cable system to open the door.

I have to admit that sounds a little frightening, the prospect of getting trapped inside the car. I know of the emergency liftgate release, but that's not convenient to get to and I'd probably have to have my phone with me to double check online exactly what needs to be poked, twisted, or slid to cause it to open, because all I remember is it wasn't 100% obvious the first time I looked at it, even though I knew it was there.

I've never heard of such a failure mode.

The i3's door handles are largely mechanical.

While I could believe that a system update might disable Comfort Access or remote locking, I can't imagine how any update process would prevent a seated passenger from exiting a locked i3 by pulling on an interior door handle.

My thoughts exactly: "Wait... what? No mechanical linkage to open the door, nor a fallback scenario/override in case the electronics fail!? :shock: "

I would surely hope you can always open the door from the inside...?

Back