Pro Sat Nav - one thing the brochure doesn't tell you...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

Had a chance to compare the standard and Pro Nav systems when I ordered my i3.

There are more differences between them than just the screen size, 20GB HD and active traffic info:

In the car I sat in yesterday, which featured standard Sat Nav, I also noticed that the iDrive knob is slightly smaller and does not have the 'scribble' option, which allows you to enter single characters.

Hope this helps those who need to make a decision on this.

P

psquare said:
Had a chance to compare the standard and Pro Nav systems when I ordered my i3.

There are more differences between them than just the screen size, 20GB HD and active traffic info:

In the car I sat in yesterday, which featured standard Sat Nav, I also noticed that the iDrive knob is slightly smaller and does not have the 'scribble' option, which allows you to enter single characters.

Hope this helps those who need to make a decision on this.

P

Lol... i like your description re the scribble option..

Good guidance here.... Thank you...

Being a Brit but not being a south paw means that the "handwriting recognition" is useless to me! "Scribble" is the word whenever I've tried it.

SanSerif said:
Being a Brit but not being a south paw means that the "handwriting recognition" is useless to me! "Scribble" is the word whenever I've tried it.

And I am, as most others right handed. .. and with the pad on the left in the UK makes the title of a scribble pad perfect... i can draw lil pics, but no recognisable letters or numbers lol..

noakey said:
SanSerif said:

And I am, as most others right handed. .. and with the pad on the left in the UK makes the title of a scribble pad perfect... i can draw lil pics, but no recognisable letters or numbers lol..

Hey, I am an American leftie, so the scribble pad is not ideally situated for me either. :) However, more to the point, I think the scribble pad is one of those bits of technology that exist because engineers can make them rather than because they actually make the user experience easier or faster for consumers. I find that both voice commands and spinning the iDrive wheel give me faster and more accurate data entry than the scribble pad.

However, though I would definitely NOT pay extra money just to get the scribble pad, I totally would pay more to get the larger screen that comes with the Pro Nav. It shows more and shows everything better. It's the car equivalent of the difference between a smallish CRT tv screen and a large HD LED or plasma screen.

It's all down to personal preferences. I'm also left-handed in the US so have to use my wrong hand with the touchpad controller. Not that big of a deal. I find the software pretty good at recognizing my printing. I definitely prefer this latest controller to the previous generation that comes with the base system. And I say that definitively because my E90 has the previous controller.

I'm a lefty (US) as well, but 'discovered' the pad properties by accident. I agree with the assessment that it's interesting, but not particularly value added. I suppose if my wife is sleeping in the passenger seat, I might use it, as it is easier to use without looking than the spinner.

Back