Reversing camera is always dirty

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonb

Has anyone got any thoughts on how to improve the reversing camera cleanliness. It picks up so much crap! What would anyone recommend?

RainX?
Windowlene?
Wax?

I have to give it a rub with a finger every other day so i can use it when its wet (during dry conditions not really an issue)

Thanks
Simon

simonb said:
Has anyone got any thoughts on how to improve the reversing camera cleanliness. It picks up so much crap! What would anyone recommend?

RainX?
Windowlene?
Wax?

I have to give it a rub with a finger every other day so i can use it when its wet (during dry conditions not really an issue)

Thanks
Simon

Never had that problem, over 600 miles and 2 months, not an issue for me? Never heard anyone else mention it either.

I find the same thing...dirt isn't as bad as water drops. The camera on my other car is under the lip, so it doesn't get wet as easy, but it still does on occasion.

Appears to be a problem that is mentioned on the German forum, too.

No easy solution, I guess.

My wife's Nissan has got 360 deg cameras, which are brilliant, but tend to have water droplets on them during rain, which creates a fuzzy view.

psquare said:
Appears to be a problem that is mentioned on the German forum, too.

No easy solution, I guess.

My wife's Nissan has got 360 deg cameras, which are brilliant, but tend to have water droplets on them during rain, which creates a fuzzy view.

360? That's all the way around!

7k on my BEV and sometimes cam is a bit blurred from dirt but still perfectly use able. .. Never been an issue 4 me.

My 550i had them, so BMW knows how to do it. :)

You get seriously used to them, for sure. And parking is like a little in-car video game.

When I saw the Leaf had them, I was really hoping BMW would make sure the i3 was competitive with tech. Oh well.

In wet weather my rear camera is virtually unusable due to the kind of roads I drive on (English country lanes lined with hedges and muddy passing spots). Given England is generally in a state of moist to wet, that means most of the time I have found the camera to be a useless. As I'm using the back every day, if I remember I will wipe my finger over the camera though I tend to forget.

Overall I find the rear of the i3 gets incredibly muddy/dirty compared to other hatchback cars I have driven.

Has anyone installed the mud flaps to try and prevent mud from coming around the back? Will probably give that a try unless someone else has tried and specifically haven't had meaningful results.

Back