Driver-Side Door Will Not Open

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandraCirca

This morning I went to get in my i3 and the driver-side door wouldn't open.
The passenger-side door opens fine.

I've tried everything I can think of.

Any ideas anyone?

Did the lock button go up? If not, try the key in the fob. If you go into the passenger side, and try the inside release on the driver's door, any resistance? Does it open then?

It's under warranty. Take it to your BMW dealer for a repair. If it won't open now, it likely won't open at some time in the future, even if you are able to eventually open it now. Something's broken that needs to be fixed.

I had this issue a few months ago with the LHS (passenger) door. The remote was working and the inside button was moving appropriately but the door wouldn't open from the outside or the inside.

I was going to return the car to the BMW service centre but I "fixed" the issue with a firm (but not angry) thump to the door from the inside near where the door latch is. It's best to look at the door that opens for the precise position of the latch.

I did not return the vehicle to the BMW service centre in the end because, so far, this issue hasn't occurred again.

MikeS said:
Had the same problem on the passenger side door. Ignored it for a few days and then all was well again.

That was good for you.
Unfortunate for me, I took my car to swindon dealer under warranty, they couldn't get the door to open so they had to prey off the door skin, replace the door lock module, and according to the technician it failed again before it leaves the workshop, ran out of spare part, and i had to wait for a few more days for the part to arrive. Got the car back after 2 weeks, found dents and scratches on door edge, door skin was poorly alighed and door window seal not sit properly, send the car back with a complain letter, they had the door skin repaint and sorted out the fit and finish. The whole thing took 4 weeks.

Suffered same issue with the drivers-side door not opening. Tried the "forceful thump" approach to the inside of the door adjacent to to the door frame lock mechanism, as suggested in the forum. Initially no result, but next morning the door opened normally ! Now seems to work fine again.

Hi all,

I realise this is quite an old post but I had the same issue 2 days ago and fixed it today!

After reading all the solutions in this post banging the door didn't work for me. I called BMW and am due to take it in on Thursday but luckily now I don't have to 😄

My friend told me to try opening the door with the key. I had no idea the car even had an actual key but it does. See this link https://youtu.be/2l9O_F67e3Y

Once I popped the cap open and inserted the key to unlock the door. It opened and now it openes and locks as it should. I guess doing this resets the door lock module.

Hope this helps for anyone else that might have the same issue.

Lola14 said:
Once I popped the cap open and inserted the key to unlock the door. It opened and now it openes and locks as it should.
Be sure that you installed the cap securely. If not, it could fall off. Replacing it could be expensive because new one's must be painted to match the car's paint.

Back