How to install front license plate bracket?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusterbuster

Hi everyone, does anyone have instructions for how to install the front license plate bracket on the front bumper? I initially thought I'd avoid drilling holes in the bumper by purchasing the US Millworks towhook bracket, but it's triggering the parking sensors when it rains (strangely, doesn't seem to be a problem when it's dry). Anyways, I'm going to have to return the towhook bracket (I also prefer the look of the license centered), and just go ahead and install the factory bracket, but I'm not sure where to drill. The dealer I purchased the car from is over an hour's drive away, and I'm trying to save a trip/charge to the local dealer here. Thanks!

The screws, etc. are usually in the front storage area. Once you see them, it should be fairly obvious, or wait until Monday and give the dealer a call - they should be able to guide you. Mine was installed when I picked it up with the temporary plates on it...can't say really how it was attached.

FWIW, when I picked up my last car in Munich...the German plates were held on with double-sided foam tape. Some of that stuff is considered 'permanent', and is used to hold trim in place, so it might be an option - no holes at all. They removed it for me prior to delivery, so I don't know how hard it was to remove from the front or rear. I have the plates as a souvenir.

I have to put my front plates on as well. I've got an appointment to take the cat in Tuesday for the CEL so I'll ask the dealer about the front plate bracket while I'm there.

Thanks. I have the bracket and plastic screws, but it's not clear to me where I should be drilling. There are multiple holes on the bracket (not counting the screw holes for the actual license plate). Also, there are two small dimples in the bumper itself, which seem to correspond with a couple of plastic protrusions on the rear of the bracket. The protrusions are pretty big though, much bigger than the small dimples on the bumper.

The dealer installed the bracket for me but I watched. They first drilled out the dimples on the bumper with a rather large drill - it looked like 1/2 inch. He also didn't drill very far. Just thru the other plastic. Then, locating the bracket in those holes, he used self tapping screw about 1 inch long in the corners of the bracket.

I watched as the dealer installed mine also. Kind of cringed when they drilled out the holes where the dimples are on the bumper. If you look at the license plate holder, it has 2 rather large (1/2" seems right) protrusions on the back of the holder that will go into the holes drilled where the dimples are. Its possible to orient the holder upside down, btw, so check to make sure its laying flat against the car. The protrusions are simply for alignment. The plate is attached to the car with the 4 self-tapping screws as the previous poster indicated. A different set of screws are used to attach the license plate to the holder.

Thanks, guys! Did the license plate bracket come with self tapping screws? I see some plastic screws that came with the license plate bracket. Are those the self-tapping screws? I may just have to drag myself to the dealer to get this done, since I don't know whether I'm brave enough to drill large holes in the bumper. Or, I maybe I'll play around with the US Millworks tow hook license plate bracket to see if I can make it work without triggering the parking sensors when it rains. :|

FYI, I brought the car into a dealership over the weekend and had them install the bracket. Interestingly, the technician sawed off the two protruding prongs from the bracket, presumably to avoid having to drill the two larger holes in the bumper.

coming late to the party but thought i would post this seeing all the comments about deals and how they do it. The "prongs" in the middle are for locating but do not need to be drilled for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ndU83ToUlI

hope this helps

Back