UK EVSE Install

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeS

Just has a 32 amp EVSE installed by ‘The Little Green Energy Company’ - fantastic job, no hassle, not buts, just turned up and did the work.

Seeing as you are in the Green capital of the UK I wouldn't expect anything less.

I don't suppose the install 500 miles away in Glasgow do they?

Good to know. I am in the process of doing the same, and I am not that far from you in Tonbridge.

I suspect you have also a ROLEC charger installed, who referred you to TLGEC ? How is the charger performing for you ?

I had a Rolec charger installed on Monday (not by TLGEC). So far, so good, and I'm enjoying the faster charging time compared to plugging it into the 3-pin socket in the garage via an extension lead which is what we were doing while waiting for installation. It makes a loud clunk when charging is initiated, which can be a good or bad thing depending on whether you like the audible confirmation the charger's connected ok. Great thing about Rolec is even the 32A version is free.

The only very minor wrinkle is that you can't lock the Rolec charger to prevent use by someone else. The chargemaster point I had installed at my old house had the ability to stop the electricity supply without turning it off completely. (Terms and conditions of subsidy is to keep the charger on so it can send data back on usage.)

It's not going to be a problem for me, given where I live (and the lack of other electric cars around) but something you might need to bear in mind.

The ROLEC charger seems fine and agree with the previous post about not being able to lock it. However, the overall install seems better than at my previous house and TLGEC also installs a meter that shows the charge rate.

Yep, I also had the meter installed (my installation was done by Tech for Energy). I think it's standard with Rolec.

And would agree that the installation experience was much better than with the charger at my old house.

My Rolec was installed by MES Electricals. The meter is part of the deal. I believe it calls a centre with details of the usage of the EVSE. Which, at the moment, is zero since my i3 is not due for a couple of weeks.

Where about is the meter? I've got a ROLEC and can't see one. I thought it was going to be under the clear bit a the top. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough as I don't have my car yet. Picking it up Tuesday woo hoo.

Also installed my MES. Very good service. I suppose a newish house, a free 32A circuit breaker and 3 meter run from consumer unit to EVSE point helped a lot.

nowtta60 said:
Where about is the meter? I've got a ROLEC and can't see one. I thought it was going to be under the clear bit a the top. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough as I don't have my car yet. Picking it up Tuesday woo hoo.

Also installed my MES. Very good service. I suppose a newish house, a free 32A circuit breaker and 3 meter run from consumer unit to EVSE point helped a lot.
I don't think the meter is anywhere near the EVSE. Although I don't have a Rolec (have BMW Pure Wallbox), the meter is in a separate breaker box next to my consumer board. It has a SIM card in it so it can send usage data back to OLEV.

The meter is right next to the EVSE...
rolec1.jpg

Btw, the meter just shows power used (kWh) and not the charge rate. Though if you note the change over a period of time you can work out the rate. It would have been nice to see the current (Amperes) but the installer said it does not show that.

i7fan said:
The meter is right next to the EVSE...

Btw, the meter just shows power used (kWh) and not the charge rate. Though if you note the change over a period of time you can work out the rate. It would have been nice to see the current (Amperes) but the installer said it does not show that.

OK then it must depend on both the installer and the type of EVSE, as my meter shows both rate and usage, plus your EVSE appears inside and therefore near the meter, here are photos of my smart meter (inside the garage) and EVSE (inside the porch), installed by Schneider Electric.

smart_meter_zpsjikzfrny.jpg

wallbox_zps0dm8hucy.jpg

My meter's outside just above the main meter, which is also outside.

At my old house, with the Chargemaster point, I didn't have a separate meter that I could access. I think it was built in to the unit but not visible to me unlike with the Rolec one I have now.

Aha... thanks guys. I got confused as rolec do sell an optional extra which is a little wheeled meter that sits in the EVSE point. I've just been out to look in my meter box and theres a whopping great big smart meter in there. At least I know now its a proper accurate meter not a guestimate. So can use it for claiming some of my electric bill back off my company :)

My Mrs was at home when the install was done, she must have forgot to tell me about that. lol

mark1 said:
OK then it must depend on both the installer and the type of EVSE, as my meter shows both rate and usage, plus your EVSE appears inside and therefore near the meter, here are photos of my smart meter (inside the garage) and EVSE (inside the porch), installed by Schneider Electric.

In what units is the charge rate shown as?

Yes my EVSE is in the garage. Made a small opening in the door frame through which the cable can run if I want to charge the car in the driveway. Which likely appears to be most of the time since I find driving into the garage to be tricky. The clearance to the sides of the car just a couple of inches!

i7fan said:
In what units is the charge rate shown as?

Rate is shown in kW, and consumption is shown in kWh, the display automatically alternates between them. I can hardly see it mind as the distribution board is up by the ceiling.

I suppose the meter one gets is down to the supplier, I didn't have a choice.

Rate (car plugged in :eek: )
smart_meter_rate_zpsjob1ssei.jpg

Consumption (after 2 months :( )
smart_meter_cons_zpsjqibsssl-1.jpg

Back