nowtta60

Heated windscreen washers?

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:47 am

Does the i3 have them?

I've ordered the winter pack, but don't recall any heated jets mentioned. Likewise it's not mentioned on the standard UK spec I just looked up.

My current ICE is the first car I've had in a while that doesn't have them and temps were -2C / 28F this morning . On my 60 mile drive to work I ended up having to stop and get a bottle of water and resort to manually washing the salt off the windscreen. As I’m in an ICE car, (and an icy one) sitting still for a few minutes managed to thaw out the jets whilst I was in the shop . Well for another 10 minutes after which they promptly froze again once I got up some speed. Had to pull in and do a manual wash again as I was driving east directly into the rising sun :-(

If they aren't included what do you do to thaw them out – considering there’s no rumbling heat generator of an engine to act as a defroster.

Anyone fitted a set of heated jets themselves?

Or have I just got to stick 50:50 anti-freeze in the reservoir?
i3 REX Ordered 06/08/14. Collected 27/01/15
Capparis White, 429s, Loft, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Professional Media, Drive Assist Plus, DC Prep, LED headlamps.
Essential energy reading for EV owners... http://www.withouthotair.com/

KMP647

Re: Heated windscreen washers?

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:49 am

in the USA it my Megaworld base model has heated nozzles. you can see the wires going to them under the hood.
they are activated by turning on the mirror/rear window defrost button.

60 mile drive to work? man that's rough!
I3 Rex mega
Northern Virginia

nowtta60

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 am

My last job was 150 but only down on a Monday back Friday. Hence why a rex. Just in the range but plenty of gas stations. Thankfully the trains are pretty good so i don't drive every day. Trouble is when i get the i3 I'm thinking do i pay £19 for a train ticket and have a sleep or use the i3 and pay £3 for electric. I wonder if the drive assist will notice if i have my eyes shut. Lol

Good to know there's a more than a chance Ill have heated jets when mine arrives. Just heard it's in the boat coming to uk :). I'm pretty sure most BMWs do have them. My last one did (a 330ci i had a few years back). 1 advantage of a luxury brand. I'd certainly describe getting out of the car when its minus 2 and standing with your fingers on the jets hoping to thaw them the opposite of luxury, especially when trucks were passing within 3 feet of my backside. But then my current car is a Nissan.
Capparis White, 429s, Loft, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Professional Media, Drive Assist Plus, DC Prep, LED headlamps.

PluviaPlumbum

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:49 am

Nowtta, you raise a good point there, which I hadn't until now considered, hopefully it will be a standard feature on all vehicles, it should certainly have been included in a 'Winter pack' which is now standard for 2015 builds. Hopefully I'm in/on the same boat as you ! I have elected to wait until March 1st though, might as well make it a 15 plate now.
Born Electric 3/3/15 i3Rex, Andesit, Neutronic, Park Assist, Pan Roof, 429 Turbine Alloys, Pro Nav, DC Prep, Sun Protection Glass
Audi A4 2.4 Cabrio, VW High UP
@30/10/16 Total 23638miles 22315/1323 95%electric/Rex 5% 124.61 L fuel 48.20 mpg (imp)

Bunter

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:52 pm

nowtta60 wrote:Does the i3 have them?

I've ordered the winter pack, but don't recall any heated jets mentioned. Likewise it's not mentioned on the standard UK spec I just looked up.

My current ICE is the first car I've had in a while that doesn't have them and temps were -2C / 28F this morning . On my 60 mile drive to work I ended up having to stop and get a bottle of water and resort to manually washing the salt off the windscreen. As I’m in an ICE car, (and an icy one) sitting still for a few minutes managed to thaw out the jets whilst I was in the shop . Well for another 10 minutes after which they promptly froze again once I got up some speed. Had to pull in and do a manual wash again as I was driving east directly into the rising sun :-(

If they aren't included what do you do to thaw them out – considering there’s no rumbling heat generator of an engine to act as a defroster.

Anyone fitted a set of heated jets themselves?

Or have I just got to stick 50:50 anti-freeze in the reservoir?
BMW screen wash is rated down to -12 at a 1 part screen wash 2 parts water dilution so there shouldn't be an issue even when using it at the maximum dilution. I just got in from work and it was -3 and my screen wash worked fine (1:2 here) with no rear demister working

Bill
Born Electric 15.03.14

nowtta60

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:12 am

PluviaPlumbum wrote:Nowtta, you raise a good point there, which I hadn't until now considered, hopefully it will be a standard feature on all vehicles, it should certainly have been included in a 'Winter pack' which is now standard for 2015 builds. Hopefully I'm in/on the same boat as you ! I have elected to wait until March 1st though, might as well make it a 15 plate now.
Don't wait till march to get a 15 plate. In that time you could have saved enough fuel to buy a £150 dateless plate. That's my theory anyway. No one will know my initials aren't really something like A3 XDG. LOL Or you can get a 13 plate for £399. And make up such nonsense as takes your fancy. EV 13 xxx are available.

I think it's best to delink the date from the plate anyway... makes people look at the ACTUAL age and condition of the car, not what the letters say.

i7fan

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:23 am

I just bought a plate with my initials in the first two spots, then 00 and then my surname. I am fortunate in that my surname is only 3-characters.
i3 Rex in Andesit Silver & Loft
Retiring - Mercedes E270 (now retired)

PluviaPlumbum

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:37 pm

It's getting a dateless Private plate with my initials anyway ! I don't anticipate doing much mileage in February as I have a Ski Holiday planned so I just went with what seemed a plan. In truth I'm itching to get my hands on the car and booked another demo loaner; this time of the BEV which I pick up on Thursday just to reacquaint myself with the on board tech.

I just hope that the dealership preps my car in Feb rather than rushing the job as they get quite busy on the initial week of a new Reg.
Born Electric 3/3/15 i3Rex, Andesit, Neutronic, Park Assist, Pan Roof, 429 Turbine Alloys, Pro Nav, DC Prep, Sun Protection Glass
@30/10/16 Total 23638miles 22315/1323 95%electric/Rex 5% 124.61 L fuel 48.20 mpg (imp)

psquare

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:28 am

PluviaPlumbum wrote: I have elected to wait until March 1st though, might as well make it a 15 plate now.
Yes, same here. My given delivery week was late Feb, so will probably wait until March 1st, too.

PluviaPlumbum

Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:38 pm

I was looking at Used i3 prices on the Auto Trader website and at one trader lists Heated washer jets in the spec. Early days yet of course but residuals look ok at the moment! :o

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”