any UK Bev'ers completed a 300+ mile journey?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sithsmith23

Planning a trip and want to take the I3, but with the missus & 5 year old in tow don't want the long drive north (Kent to Yorkshire) to take 12 hours plus!
So anyone with BEV only done similar distance and had positive experience(s) with DC chargers?

Route is going to be M25 (anti), M11, A1M - coming off at junc.51, theoretically there are plenty of Ecotricity Rapid along the way, but not feeling their reliance at the moment.

Really want to do this, head is saying no, heart is saying shut up head.

Gonville has posted about Cardiff to Sheffield - Long Distance BEV. Cardiff to Sheffield. It sounded quite a long exciting journey.

Did a similar trip at Christmas via A1M. OK with Rex as none of the rapids were working and on;y able to get some 7kW charging. Would be 'exciting' in a BEV. If you attempt it try every rapid on the way whether you need it or not.

I would think carefully before undertaking such a trip in a BEV. As noted in the Ecotricity thread today i did a shorter journey (125miles) in my Rex yesterday and stopped at 4 Ecotricity DC chargers in a row. None worked. None worked on the way back either, although i only tried 3.

I was able to complete my journey via Rex and although the 7kw chargers appeared to be working a 3 hour wait is not really viable.

I do hope Ecotricity improve as their chronic unreliablility could throttle the EV take up in the UK at birth.

Good luck if you do try, it will be an adventure!

I think your head needs to tell your heart to be quiet. I would not attempt this journey with a 5 year old in tow. In fact, I wouldn't attempt it with any passenger. As a solo "adventure" trip maybe. My experience of Ecotricity DC charging is that it fails more often than it works.

Back