Who knew about the folding wing mirrors?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paule23

I've really got to read my manual. I've just found out the i3 has folding wing mirrors! Parking up last night in a cinema car park I manually folded them in as the space was a bit tight. When unlocking the car later i noticed they unfolded automatically. Cue a browse through the manual today to find a button for folding on demand, and holding the lock button folds them in too.

I love this feature on my Outlander as I can tell easily if I have locked the car so I'm looking forward to using this now I know about it. I'm off to see what more I can find out....

Blue20 said:
"unfolded automatically" ?!? How did you do that? Mine only unfold if I speed up to 40 km/h.

At least on the european i3s unlocking the car either by pressing the button on the key or (if you have comfort access) just grabbing the door handles also unfolds the mirrors.

To fold the mirrors and lock the car hold down the lock button on the key for 4 seconds. It also rolls up the windows and closes the sunroof.

Another thing is when you engage reverse the passenger side mirror automatically lowers it's view so you can see the parking space lines, and returns to it's previous setting when moved out of reverse.

Yes, I accidentally found this feature when I held down the lock button to close the windows. I think this is standard on our UK models.

Another thing is when you engage reverse the passenger side mirror automatically lowers it's view so you can see the parking space lines, and returns to it's previous setting when moved out of reverse.

The passenger mirror behavior is controlled by the mirror adjustment selection switch. If the switch is set to driver side mirror, the passenger mirror behaves as described; if the switch is set to the passenger side mirror, the passenger mirror doesn't move when the car is placed in reverse.

mjk said:

The passenger mirror behavior is controlled by the mirror adjustment selection switch. If the switch is set to driver side mirror, the passenger mirror behaves as described; if the switch is set to the passenger side mirror, the passenger mirror doesn't move when the car is placed in reverse.

You definitely learn a new thing every day with this car (at least I do). Thanks for the info.

paule23 said:
mjk said:

You definitely learn a new thing every day with this car (at least I do). Thanks for the info.

If only BMW had experts at the dealers to show us all of that cool stuff, maybe someone like at the Apple Store, a "Genius" who knows all about the i3. That would be really helpful, I know I would have benefited for such an expert when I leased mine.
If that is a step too far, perhaps a manual that tells all about the car you just bought and does not confuse the customer with information about cars in other markets would help too.

My dealer offered a tutorial with the i3 genius a week after purchase. They went through EVERYTHING including the bat wing mirrors and other tricks. I'd recommend everyone ask for that from their dealer. Mine was at East Bay BMW in Pleasanton, CA

i3Livermore said:
My dealer offered a tutorial with the i3 genius a week after purchase. They went through EVERYTHING including the bat wing mirrors and other tricks. I'd recommend everyone ask for that from their dealer. Mine was at East Bay BMW in Pleasanton, CA

That's good to hear. Unfortunately it seems to be the exception more than the rule. I had a great dealership experience also at JMK BMW in Springfield, NJ. My client adviser, Manny Antunes now has two i3s in his garage. It helps when the salesperson is a fan also!

I had a 2-hour tutorial from one of the geniuses at Schomp in Denver on vehicle pickup. Makes a huge difference, especially for people who have not done a lot of research

Back