Change time to reflect summertime

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

Spotted a tweet yesterday from an i3 owner who said that she had to manually change the time to Summer Daylight Savings time. Despite all the fab tech in the car, this surprised me.

I'm not near my car at the moment, but am wondering whether this is true. I know that in my previous cars the time could be automatically adjusted by using the RDS data signal. I've checked the manual on my iPad, but I only found the standard explanations about changing date/time.

Is there a way to automatically adjust time?

No auto adjustment in UK. Had to do mine manually. Agree it seems really strange given the comms the car has.

With GPS this should be a very simple thing to automate. If my coffee machine can manage the change to BST it's pretty poor when a high tech car can't. :roll:

I've not found this "feature" on mine here in the US. Had to adjust manually. Annoying, but doesn't take much time.

Had to change mine manually as well. Also noticed the clock had gained about 1 Minute in 2 Months. The car connects to BMW servers every day, how difficult to send a time update?

At least in the US version of the software, there's an idrive menu switch that says to set time/date automatically. It does not take care of DST, though, which it should. To get the car to sync with the min/sec of the server, you must have that selected.

psquare said:
Spotted a tweet yesterday from an i3 owner who said that she had to manually change the time to Summer Daylight Savings time. Despite all the fab tech in the car, this surprised me.

I think that was my wife's tweet you saw!

I noticed the manual time setting when I picked the i3 up last year. The clock was wrong, which struck me as odd since there's at least these sources of clock syncing available: RDS, GPS, internet. I left it, hoping it would auto-adjust but it never did. I never found a setting that allowed for clock syncing so had to manually adjust it. The lack of automatic change to BST confirmed this.

Not sure this is restricted to the i3, however. Certainly my old Honda Accord needed manual adjustment, despite RDS/GPS. I will check our current CR-V next time I'm in it to see if the same applies there.

jadnashuanh said:
At least in the US version of the software, there's an idrive menu switch that says to set time/date automatically. It does not take care of DST, though, which it should. To get the car to sync with the min/sec of the server, you must have that selected.
Despite having that option selected since shortly after buying our i3 in November, 2014, its clock has drifted by 2 minutes compared with Internet time servers that keep the time on our computers accurate. So either the time on BMW's servers is incorrect (unacceptable!) or this feature doesn't work correctly (more likely). The bugs in BMW's firmware seem to be numerous and rarely fixed :(

Because of this onerous twice annually manual DST adjustment, I've moved to Hawaii to avoid this problem :)

Back