public charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magic77

One for existing UK owners.

i3 on order days counting down. Just wanted to get some advise as to public charge points. Which and how to register to get most out of them

thanks

Welcome to the club.

Registration will depend where you live and what charge points you are likely to use. I have registered with Ecotricity (national network of rapid and other chargers, frequently at motorway services) and CYC (chargeyourcar) who operate the majority of charge points around a Glasgow. Post your general location and others will be along with more advice.

Have you got a cable yet? Did you go for the DC option?

As a new I3 owner myself, I went through this tortuous process a month or so ago. As I live in the Midlands, I purchased a Plugged In Midlands Card at £24. I could have got the same access with a Source East Card at £10 (it also covers Source London). I also signed up to Polar Credit, CYC (£20) and Ecotricity (free). A lot of the local Councils seem to be moving from Plugged In Midlands to CYC. So far, I have used the Ecotricity card on a Rapid, and the Plugged In Midlands card locally as there are 6 by 7kW chargers sitting idle in a nearby carpark. As the latter are free to use, the car can get a top up whilst my wife and I in the local supermarket/library. I will re-visit the question of cards when they next come up for renewal.

magic77 said:
One for existing UK owners.

i3 on order days counting down. Just wanted to get some advise as to public charge points. Which and how to register to get most out of them

thanks

I would recommend the BMW ChargeNow card (covers Chargemaster, Polar Instant and some Source London) and Ecotricity cards for starters, out of the list below those are the two I use the most and cover 90 % of circumstances for me.

I have

BMW ChargeNow/Chargemaster
Ecotricity
Polar Instant/Chargemaster (got it before it was clear to me that they are the same as Chargemaster :( - defo don't need)
Source London
SSE/Chargepoint Genie (if iPhone user there is an app, N/A for Android yet, in useful locations for me but situational).
Charge Your Car

Any Scottish users who know if there is any benefit from the Charge Now card? I have a cYC card which seems to cover most of the chargers around Glasgow, and an Ecotricity card for when I'm out and about. Has anyone also got a ChargeNow card?

Back