Bawareca

Re: Windshield replacement

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:09 am

The window itself is $155, part # 51337290860.
Looks like the window has to be changed from outside, not inside. Here is a picture of the outer skin removed. It is held by clips, just like the inside door panel. You have to remove the door handle and pry out the panel. You can do it yourself and collect the insurance money.

TOEd

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Thank you Bawareca! This is fabulous information. I prefer to fix things myself as it is far less aggravating than dealing with dealerships and repair garages.

malark3y

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Did any of the clips get broken in the process? I'm assuming the process is the same with the passenger side? And how does the door handle come off? Thanks.

Another thing I noticed was the dealer wanted to replace the window regulator in addition to the glass. Is that even necessary? Seems like they want to screw me out of a few bucks as I can't imagine that broken glass can screw up a component like a small motor etc. Let's not mention they tacked an extra hour of labor just to clean up the glass on the inside of the door. What a screw. Any tech with the right level of professionalism will clean up the area he or she worked on after they are done, irrespective of adding extra labor charges for an easy clean up with a vacuum cleaner etc. It's called taking pride in your work let alone doing your job. All the more reasons to wrench on my own stuff.

Bawareca

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

There are 2 caps on the door sill, next to the handle. Follow the instructions. A few clips may break, but they are a few cents at the dealer.

Lever out caps (1).Note:

(2) Adjusting screw

(3) Mounting bolt for outer door handle

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/obj/1VnXWmGSr4

Twist adjusting screw (2) until outer door handle (1) in area (A) protrudes the maximum distance outwards.

Release screw (3) by approx. 5 to 6 turns.

Pull out outer door handle (1) and disconnect corresponding plug connections.

malark3y

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Interesting. Helps a lot lol. How does the glass pane go in? Is it plug and play so to speak? Thanks.

Bawareca

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Here are the direct links to the instructions. I will remove them in a day or two.
In the preliminary task there is a link to removing the outer door skin.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i01- ... 1VnXiuGAoq

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”