hayleys900

Does anyone else feel let down about their BMW i3 BEV

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:20 am

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems or have generally felt that the i3 doesn't match brochure specification?

Thanks
Hayley

dirtboy

Re: Does anyone else feel let down about their BMW i3 BEV

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:12 am

My BEV is exactly what I expected it to be. It's been trouble free and lived up to what I thought it would be.

WoodlandHills

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:18 am

The manual and documentation is a joke. The Geniuses at the dealer are mostly idiots. The neutering of the Rex is a profit driven safety hazard. And the claimed range numbers are lies. Other than that I like mine and would lease another if the small Tesla is not ready yet.
Clipper Creek HCS-40P 32a EVSE
2014 REx Arravani Grey Giga all options
2008 Infiniti EX35
2008 smart ForTwo Cabriolet
2000 F-250 Powerstroke
2006 Westfield eleven
1984 Laverda RGS-1000

BrianStanier

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:52 am

Few people ever read the manual. The iGeniuses here are very good indeed. And I get the stated ranges (in summer temperatures). Niggles? Yes a few but nothing more.

archieb

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:17 am

i3 meets all my expectations. Do I wish I had opted for a few more options or a higher world, yes. Overall I am very satisfied with the i3 BEV. The i3 replaces a Volt I drove for 3 years.

Happy Earth Day.

Archie

psquare

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:26 am

hayleys900 wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems or have generally felt that the i3 doesn't match brochure specification?

Thanks
Hayley
I'm guessing your criticism is linked to the BEV and not (at least predominantly) the REx. Please let us know for how long you've had the BEV, what exactly your gripes are - who knows, some of the BEV owners on here can help you with some of your problems.

We own a REx and love it. I researched the car intensely (on places like this forum) and made use of 3 long test drives (two times having the car overnight, including charging) before I signed on the dotted line. Knowing the facts gives you a huge advantage when separating fact from marketing fiction. Choosing a REx over the BEV (which works perfectly well for a lot of people on here, as you can see) was a personal and difficult decision.

Let us know how you're getting on.

jadnashuanh

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:01 pm

My BEV does everything that I bought it for, has been fun to drive, and has met my expectations. It is my first EV, and unless I find a plug-in hybrid that can meet my needs (none yet), I'll probably keep it for a very long time. There will always be people that don't research the vehicle before they buy it or do not understand the limitations. It can take some time to separate the marketing and perception discussions from actual fact. What taints things a little is the pre-release discussions of the i3 verses what was actually released to the USA buyer. To be fair, the listed capabilities were updated prior to first official sale to reflect reality. Range, I don't see it as much different than what is listed for any ICE out there...there's always a range of mpge or mpg depending on the driver, the weather, and the traffic situation. It's just that with an EV, you start with a much smaller tank than a typical ICE. If you bought it to replace an ICE and expected no compromises, you made a bad decision! It works quite well for what it was designed for. A big differentiator is creature comforts...on an ICE, heating is almost entirely a waste product...on an EV, it's fuel (energy) out of the battery. If you have a BEV and you have the heat pump, it's not much worse than cooling, but the REx does not come with a heat pump, so it is a 1:1 watt out to heat in the car. Throw in the colder it gets, and ANY battery has less capacity, and it can get messy if you can't precondition things or are taking lots of short stops with multiple needs to rewarm the interior.

5-years from now, once more people will have had a viable EV experience, the 'common' knowledge will be more accurate. Until then, it's buyer beware and it behooves any potential buyers to do their research.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

I33t

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Let down? BEV? Nope, it's better than expected.

Beats me why people with REX are answering a question about a BEV.
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

psquare

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:39 am

I33t wrote: Beats me why people with REX are answering a question about a BEV.
This is almost funny.

;)

FrancisJeffries

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:12 am

We love the car, despite a few niggles, the top of the list being that it has four times wound the windows down all by itself while still locked! :shock: The first two times it was pouring with rain overnight and it took 3 days to dry the car out. :evil: The last two times it was dry, so not quite as bad.
The BMW wind-down windows on long open-press on the fob is supposed to be preventable, but the dealer tried coding it out, and it didn't remove the "facility". But note: when the windows are down, the car is still locked, so it's a bug, and happens only rarely, thank God. :(
We still love the car though. :D
Noteworthy cars I've owned previously: Lancia Aprilia ... 20kWh i3 Rex.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”