i3 Milestones

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevei3

Hi guys,
I thought it would be nice to have a thread about milestones that people would like to share, so let me be the first.
Today, we've crossed the 30000 miles mark. Yeah !
Regards, Steven

Stevei3 said:
Hi guys,
I thought it would be nice to have a thread about milestones that people would like to share, so let me be the first.
Regards, Steven

30K? You rock Steve! My REx passed 23K last week, right at the 11 month mark.

Stevei3 said:
Hi guys,
Regards, Steven

Congrats! What tires do you have and how have they held up?

Hi i3atl,
we're driving on the 19" summer and winter tires. The summer tires were replaced due to noise issues @ around 26000 km (with 6k km on winter and 20k km on the affected summer tires). No excessive wear on the 'old' set uf summer tires. After last winter, the winter tires have ~18k km on them. I am considering replacing the aft tires before next winter. They're not worn, just not as grippy as they were. And, in some countries around us, winter tires with less than 4mm thread on them count as summer tires. This can result, aside from everything else, in a *very* hefty fine (>50k euros) if you're involved in a major crash that could have been avoided by using winter tires, even if the accident is not caused by you.
The current set of summer tires has 12k km on them. Again: no excessive wear so far.
Regards, Steven

The Europeans are very serious about personal responsibility and the effect of tires on vehicle safety (and, I think, justifiably!). The typical American attitude of 'it's my car, I'll be the one who decides' is kind of lame...safety affects not only your ability to control your vehicle, but the actions of everyone else out there and you hope somebody isn't running summer tires or bald ones (effectively) in the snow and plows into you, whether anyone gets hurt or not.

Stevei3 said:
The summer tires were replaced due to noise issues @ around 26000 km (with 6k km on winter and 20k km on the affected summer tires). No excessive wear on the 'old' set uf summer tires.
Replaced at your expense or BMW's? And did it go away with the new tires? If so, what was different about the tires?

At 6K miles, the 20-inch sport tires on my Mega emit a noticeable (and kind of embarassing) whoop-whoop sound at low speeds (when it's easier to hear it). Not so with my winter tire set, so it's the tread, not the wheels. At least pedestrians can hear me coming. :D

The tires were manufactured in spring 2014. At the next service, I'm thinking of asking the dealer replace them under warranty. The tire noise is not normal.

Stevei3 said:
Hi i3atl,
we're driving on the 19" summer and winter tires. The summer tires were replaced due to noise issues @ around 26000 km (with 6k km on winter and 20k km on the affected summer tires). No excessive wear on the 'old' set uf summer tires. After last winter, the winter tires have ~18k km on them. I am considering replacing the aft tires before next winter. They're not worn, just not as grippy as they were. And, in some countries around us, winter tires with less than 4mm thread on them count as summer tires. This can result, aside from everything else, in a *very* hefty fine (>50k euros) if you're involved in a major crash that could have been avoided by using winter tires, even if the accident is not caused by you.
The current set of summer tires has 12k km on them. Again: no excessive wear so far.
Regards, Steven

Thanks!

By 19" summer tires, do you mean EP500 or EP600s?

I was a under the impression the OEM summer tires were only available as 20-inch and that the 19-inch tires were all season. Interesting. Who paid for the new summer tires?

Stevei3 said:
Hi i3atl,
i'm running on EP500 Summer tires.
Regards, Steven

Interesting - in the US the 19" wheels always come with EP600, and 20" come with EP500s.

Sourcing the 19" EP500s locally is also challenging here, so much so that I gave up and went with swapping to 20s instead.

Hi guys,
at the moment of ordering, there was no choice in tires except summer 19 or 20" (=EP500) or winter 19".
Fun thing about the EP600s: I haven't seen those in the wild yet here in NL.

About the summer tire change: because of our car being a very early one and we're relatively high milers, they (Bridgestone, BMW) wanted to testdrive it with both sets of EP500s, after which we sort of ended up with the newer set at no cost to us, which was excellent. If this is normal practice, I don't know, I wouldn't expect so. The threads are a tiny bit different, as is the case with the 20 inchers. The blocks on the shoulders are of varying sizes now and they added a small ridge between those blocks, presumably to avoid deformation of said blocks under strain.
Regards, Steven

Stevei3 said:
Hi guys,
at the moment of ordering, there was no choice in tires except summer 19 or 20" (=EP500) or winter 19".
Fun thing about the EP600s: I haven't seen those in the wild yet here in NL.

About the summer tire change: because of our car being a very early one and we're relatively high milers, they (Bridgestone, BMW) wanted to testdrive it with both sets of EP500s, after which we sort of ended up with the newer set at no cost to us, which was excellent. If this is normal practice, I don't know, I wouldn't expect so. The threads are a tiny bit different, as is the case with the 20 inchers. The blocks on the shoulders are of varying sizes now and they added a small ridge between those blocks, presumably to avoid deformation of said blocks under strain.
Regards, Steven

I suspect that some of the changes are to avoid any harmonics that could cause the whooping noise that some early tires exhibited. It is too bad that communication between the European operations of Bridgestone and BMW and their NA operations is so poor: things learned in Europe never seem to reach the shores of NA, At least not regarding this particular issue.....

Hi guys,

its our second i-day. Our i3 is exactly 2 years in service on this day. We're still enjoying the hell out of it. Like I have written before, it has its faults, but in general: it still scores 8 out of 10 for us. What has massively changed for the better in the last two years is the fast charging (CCS) infrastructure in the Netherlands. While there were only 4 CCS stations when we got our car, there are 50 along the Dutch highways today, and that's Fatsned alone. I would estimate that there are 100-120 stations when counting all competitors, dealers, etc. This results in a healthy average dinojuice consumption for our REx of 1 litre every 400 km (close to 1000 miles to the US gallon if I'm not mistaken), nearly besting the fuel consumption of our first year by a factor of 5 !

Regards, Steven

Hi guys,

not much to report but three years since 'i' was born, last week. 68000 miles and counting. Gas usage decreasing steadily. Best effort so far, last summer: mid may to mid december without refueling, 9250 miles. And not by cheating driving short distances only ! :)
In winter, fuel economy 'suffers' to around 2350 mpg US :mrgreen:

Regards, Steven

I picked ours up precisely 2 years ago and haven't regretted it one single bit. We're on 30,727 miles now, with about 92% of those miles being pure electric. The car has given us no big problems so far.

Looking forward to the next (at least) 3 years of ownership !

My i3 is two years in a few days. Currently almost 50 kkm (approx. 31 kmiles). I used the REx rarely, 98 % of these km are pure electric.
No problems at all during this time, other then a defective charging cable, which was replaced under warranty.
I'm still enjoying my i3 every day!

Hi guys,

(blowing dust from thread… ;) )

it's been a while since I posted. Only 24 hours in a day you know…

So, a quick update: 100.000 miles covered! 4.5 years running. The battery is ok but not as good as new. 85% health I would say. I’m still not sure if this is because of wear or related to the battery management software. It may actually be a bit of both, according to the i3 usergroup on the German ‘Goingelectric’ forum.

For the rest, all is well. No excessive wear and tear, the car still looks good inside and out, apart from some wear on the rubber wheel of the cruise control, which I use *a lot*.
The drive is still as involving as on day one. Nice and spirited but with some quirks.
One thing that improved over time is our fuel consumption. Since CCS fast charging options are all but abundant nowadays in NL, the ICE has seen little use the last two years. We’re usually consuming less than a tank (9 litres) every 4-5000 miles. Nice :)

So, since we rather like the i3’s concept, even if it has already five market-years behind it, we’re considering our next one. 120Ah isn’t half bad…..

Regards, Steven

i3_100k.jpg

(edit: corrected some spelling errors)

Back