I have had a test drive and I was intrigued enough to set up an extended test drive that I will start on Saturday here in Boulder Colorado.
I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer for. I wonder if the kind people here would be of help:
1. The range extender kicks in around 6.5% battery in the US version. The range then of the vehicle is 50 miles approx based on using the gasoline (motorcycle) engine. Question--if I want to go more than 50 miles can I just add more gasoline or is the act of using the gasoline engine draining on the car battery? I heard that the motorcycle engine would only engage when the car is in motion.
2. I really fancy the ability that the European owners have in being able to engage the range extender as they like. Is there any way by either a chip or some sort of underground software update that would enable this feature in the US?
3. I am concerned about the resale value of the vehicle after 3-4 years. Is that a concern you share?
4. Tesla has been pretty good about providing upgrades along the way to Tesla owners. I believe it is possible to exchange the batteries for 'better' ones though I am mistaken. Has BMW made any comments regarding the upgrade ability of the car over time?
5. How accurate is the range indicator overall in your experience?
6. Are there changes planned for the 2016 model that might impact a buying decision regarding range or functionality?
I appreciate any thoughts on these questions..