I3 seats causing back pain ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW1639

I have been driving the car for a week and have the worst back pain. I went back to my F10 M5 and my back is starting to feel better. Any suggestions on any aftermarket solutions to fix the seats on the i3. I love the car and can't imagine getting rid of it.

I think this is something that will be different from person to person. I have a Toyota Tacoma 4WD pick up truck and when I drive it my back hurts for days, but the i3 doesn't cause any discomfort.

Just the opposite for me, which was surprising. The seats appear a bit slab-like, but I'm guessing there is some strategic support built in because the lumbar support is much better than I would have imagined. I usually get lower back pain after about 2 hours in any car seat, even my Mercedes R, but so far that has not happened in the i3. I am amazed...

I use one of those ergonomic mesh small of the back supports available for about $3 at computer parts supply stores for office chairs. Gives support to the small of the back and allows ventillation to that area in summer.

feels better than the leaf to me, and I've been in and out the car for quite a few hours having done around 1700 miles in 6 weeks for leisure. I'm sure it's a very individual thing and I've never really had back issues in a car.

I felt like the driver's seat leaned down and to the right. I loosened the right front bolt and removed the right rear bolt of the driver's seat. Installed a thick washer under removed bolt and seat bracket and tightened bolts. This small amount of change made a difference for Me. Washer was about 3 eights thick.

Yes definitely casing me neck pain. It's something to do with the angle of the steering wheel and the low seat position relative to the pedals. I commute 42 miles each way, and after a few days I have to go back to my other car due to the discomfort. I'm 6'2" so that's probably part of the issue as well.

I've had Recaro and Koenig seats in my cars for over 30 years and this is the first daily driver without one.

I do miss the extra side support, but I'm finding the i3 seats are just fine from a comfort angle, so they must have the basics of support sorted.

Of course, this is highly subjective matter. I've just now returned from my fifth visit to the Alps (mainly Switzerland), doing 600+ miles at a stretch (whole day driving) without any signs of stress caused by the seats. My take is that they didn't do such a bad job, bar the limited side support.

Regards, Steven

I am a big guy around the midsection with lots of back problems. I hate soft, cushy seats as they cause me the most discomfort. I like the way the i3 seats have a firm yet comfortable cushion, giving me lots of support to my back. I also like the ease of adjusting the seats--frankly, easier than in some cars I've owned with electric seats.

planetf1 said:
feels better than the leaf to me, and I've been in and out the car for quite a few hours having done around 1700 miles in 6 weeks for leisure. I'm sure it's a very individual thing and I've never really had back issues in a car.
My Leaf was killing me and I did not realize it until I had passed it off to my wife. The i3 is much better in that situation.

BMW1639 said:
I have been driving the car for a week and have the worst back pain. I went back to my F10 M5 and my back is starting to feel better. Any suggestions on any aftermarket solutions to fix the seats on the i3. I love the car and can't imagine getting rid of it.

I had this too for the first 2 days. Raise your chair up and lean it back a bit, it will help tremendously. No more back pain for me!

BMW1639 said:

It took me a while to find the best position, especially as the head rest is not adjustable, but now having found the sweet spot... no problems. I'd try to experiment a bit first.

I am 6'3" 215# and decided to RAISE my seat (in the full-back track position), drop the recline one notch and lower the steering wheel a notch so that the top arc cuts off the top of the main gauge panel, but not the messages or speed. This seems to help my arthritic lower spine, though it is difficult getting comfortable after a long time in the saddle.

Going back 5 generations of high-performance 5 series, the worst seats of all were the Recarros in my 87 535iS. The best were in my last one, the 545I sport 6 speed. They improved all along the way. These aren't awful; though, it's just that my back is getting worse. (I've sold both motorcycles on account of it). And this seating position is much higher and more upright than the 5 series.

BEWARE :The seats of the BMWi3 are completely flat and do not bend to fit the curvature of your spine. I purchased a new i3 in April and by the end of May I had very bad lower back pain. I drove locally and then once a week did a 80 mile round trip. I had to sell the car back to BMW after two months because my back got worse and worse and five months later I have had spinal injections for L5 S1 disc herniation and am now having physio once a week still unable to drive at all.

This car is not for everyone! Make sure you do a few long journeys before purchase.

I also got an L5-S1 herniation a few months after getting my i3. It is hard to say if the i3 was a factor or not. When I had sciatica, sitting in the i3 definitely made the pain worse though.

There are many lumbar support products that can be added to the car seat and I suggest trying some out if you experience back pain when driving.

arodi3 said:
I also got an L5-S1 herniation a few months after getting my i3. It is hard to say if the i3 was a factor or not. When I had sciatica, sitting in the i3 definitely made the pain worse though.
I had L5-S1 herniation before buying our i3 4 years ago. Our i3's seats haven't irritated my back at all, but I have never sat in our i3 for more than ~90 minutes at a time.

All backs are different, so what bothers one back might not bother a different one.

The seat back angle and the height of the seat can go a long ways towards changing the 'load' on your back. Many people don't realize that the i3's seat is height adjustable. I have back issues (AS), but do not find the seats aggravate my back, but then, I use it as intended, shorter trips and running around town. I would not take it to its maximum range and would instead drive my other car. Not because of the seats, but for the convenience and knowing for sure that I won't be caught with the charging station closed, occupied, or inoperative.

Seats are highly personal, I like my i3 Tera fine, didn't bug me at all driving 2000 miles in 4 days. I have a tall torso and a bad lower back. They have never bugged me at all. The only thing I don't like about them is they are a bit flimsy and bouncy.

Back